I had to bite my tongue...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I've spent the last week traveling through West Virginia, leading a tour group. That's what I do for a living. It's a beautiful state covered about 80% with forest. I see BTUs everywhere.

A couple of days ago some of my tour group were chatting with a crew member on one of the vintage trains we have been riding. The guy said "yeah, it's almost mid October. I need to get out and cut this winter's wood or I'll be freezing to death."

Like I said.... I had to bite my tongue.

Kenster said:
I've spent the last week traveling through West Virginia, leading a tour group. That's what I do for a living. It's a beautiful state covered about 80% with forest. I see BTUs everywhere.

A couple of days ago some of my tour group were chatting with a crew member on one of the vintage trains we have been riding. The guy said "yeah, it's almost mid October. I need to get out and cut this winter's wood or I'll be freezing to death."

I dont blame you.

Good for you on having the willpower to say nothing. I am not so tactful. Got some firewood and while there, I saw his stacks totally covered top-to-ground with tarps. Mentioned that moisture is trapped like that and that the wood may rot before it's seasoned. He would do better to leave the sides open for the breezes. Thanks to the helpful experience (thank you!) Found here, I CAN'T HELP MYSELF! Had to try to help the guy out with what I've learned from this site. Looking for the link to OCD woodstove addicts self-help group meetings now.......

Kenster said:
"yeah, it's almost mid October. I need to get out and cut this winter's wood or I'll be freezing to death."
If he's got some dead standers with no bark, he may be able to remain thawed... :cheese:

It would make me laugh at first then I would definitely bite my tongue. You know your in a much better place after hearing that.

The more I learn, the more I burn, and the more I speak to uneducated wood burners.......I take the same approach Ken. Well done my man. No need in jeopardizing your job.

Man...... perfect opportunity to "edjukate" some people and you blew it! (not just the dope that made the statement but those around).
As a member of this forum I think you have an obligation to stand up and kick logs and take names! DO better next time trooper!
:)_

I have in-laws that are convinced my wood will rot before I get to those stacks in a year or two.

Smart move, but maybe give him this site to maybe look at some time. :)

I made a mistake of trying to explain "it" to a long time wood burner & ole-timer Alaskan. Basically he said I was full of something.
I still meet guys when out cutting that are getting the wood for burning now.
Now I just tell guys I meet that my new catalytic stove won't burn green wood.
& some nod & shake there heads & say they'd never own such a stove. But some listen & at least think about it.

Kenster said:

Ken perhaps you should have replied "are you sure that wood is wet enough, you should think about soaking that wood in a tub of water" lol ... That gentleman needs a dose of Hearth.com knowledge applied by Dr. Savage!

Ray

Old habits die hard, I still eat bacon, but at least my stove is on a healthy diet.

krex1010 said:
Old habits die hard, I still eat bacon, but at least my stove is on a healthy diet.

Funny you should say that, I enjoy bacon too, at least i did. My wife cooks me turkey Bacon now. Lost some weight, dropped my cholesterol 40 points and I go to the gym 4x a week. The stove still gets Bacon and never gains a pound.

BrowningBAR said:
I have in-laws that are convinced my wood will rot before I get to those stacks in a year or two.

My brother in law has been burning for over 30 years and he says the same thing to me. I am really amazed by it, he is a very bright guy too.

There's an old timer down the street from me that burns in his house and barn. There is always smoke coming out of his chimney. Sometimes there is a thick cloud of it on the road to drive through. he gets logs from one of the local tree services. Last week he got some Black Locust logs dropped off. By Friday he was stacking it right outside the door to his house. There was a nice stream of grey smoke billowing out the chimney.

Flatbedford said:
There's an old timer down the street from me that burns in his house and barn. There is always smoke coming out of his chimney. Sometimes there is a thick cloud of it on the road to drive through. he gets logs from one of the local tree services. Last week he got some Black Locust logs dropped off. By Friday he was stacking it right outside the door to his house. There was a nice stream of grey smoke billowing out the chimney.

Steve just set up a stale air kit and suck your neighbors smoke into your Fireview and get some free heat! Nice to meet you this weekend!

Ray

bogydave said:
Smart move, but maybe give him this site to maybe look at some time. :)

Craig should issue business cards to member with more than 2000 posts, just for this type of situation. :coolsmile:

Kenster said:

Yeah...but that same guy probably just hand shoveled 4 tons of coal into the steam engine by himself so that old vintage train could carry your arse up the mountain. Therefore, he deserves a a little but of respect :)

ruserious2008 said:
Man...... perfect opportunity to "edjukate" some people and you blew it! (not just the dope that made the statement but those around).
As a member of this forum I think you have an obligation to stand up and kick logs and take names! DO better next time trooper!
:)_

+1. Nothing to be afraid of in trying to educate - I don't think I would have bit my tongue.

While on the topic of biting ones tongue,,, I find I always have to bite my tongue when reading posts like this. Due to the area where I live and the type of wood I burn, I am able to reliably cut all the wood I need for the winter in the fall. In fact I still haven't cut all I need for this winter, actually I a haven't started cutting any wood yet this year, although I do have a a couple cord left over from last year.
My wood source is beetle kill lodgepole pine that's been dead for many years, and yes around here it does season (dry) to under 20% MC while standing dead. I do realize that not everyone everywhere has this luxury, but still, when I read post like this I find I have to bite my tongue because what everyone here thinks is so ridiculous, I'm able to routinely and not have any worries about poor quality burns.

Carbon_Liberator said:
While on the topic of biting ones tongue,,, I find I always have to bite my tongue when reading posts like this. Due to the area where I live and the type of wood I burn, I am able to reliably cut all the wood I need for the winter in the fall. In fact I still haven't cut all I need for this winter, actually I a haven't started cutting any wood yet this year, although I do have a a couple cord left over from last year.
My wood source is beetle kill lodgepole pine that's been dead for many years, and yes around here it does season (dry) to under 20% MC while standing dead. I do realize that not everyone everywhere has this luxury, but still, when I read post like this I find I have to bite my tongue because what everyone here thinks is so ridiculous, I'm able to routinely and not have any worries about poor quality burns.
The thing is CL, you know the difference! Many fine folks don't......they think "cause the sap's down" its dry enough. Some dead is dry enough. Some isn't. I cut a big dead downed ash one winter, and as I split it, it seemed very dry, so I put it to the ultimate moisture test, and through a couple pieces in the stove. Heck, it burned better than some of the 1 year stuff I was burning. I ended up burning all of it that winter. Sometimes though, the dead stuff is not dry and just has to wait.

Carbon_Liberator said:
What works for you works for you, and I agree some people on here are silly but for the most part a well informed bunch.

Yeah...but that same guy probably just hand shoveled 4 tons of coal into the steam engine by himself so that old vintage train could carry your arse up the mountain. Therefore, he deserves a a little but of respect :)

First of all, the only tool this guy was handling was a microphone. He was the narrator on the train.
Secondly, Even if he HAD been the guy shoveling coal, thinking he didn't know anything about firewood would not be disrespecting his labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.