I have a question on probe thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jman

Jun 4, 2008
Central Maine
How do you install these on the double wall stove pipe? I might want to get one installed when I get my stove installed.
Thanks!

You drill a small clearance hole through both walls of the pipe about 18" above the flue collar. The probe is inserted through this hole and the thermometer attaches magnetically to the outside wall of the pipe. It will take longer to get the drill set up than to install.

BeGreen said:
You drill a small clearance hole through both walls of the pipe about 18" above the flue collar. The probe is inserted through this hole and the thermometer attaches magnetically to the outside wall of the pipe. It will take longer to get the drill set up than to install.

BeGreen! Can i do the same with my insert?First remove the surround to do the work then route the thermometer to the outside of the surround?

No, sorry. I added a comment to your thread. The inexpensive models are surface mount and meant for freestanding stoves, not inserts. I've seen some remote probes, but they are expensive.

With a free-standing stove having about 2ft horizontally of 6in single wall pipe (then a 90deg elbow and another ~1ft of pipe)- which enters a lined brick chimney through a block off plate:

Can you place the pickup in the horizontal pipe section? Would that be a good place (the best place) to measure the exhaust gas temp? And would you want to seal up the access hole with stove cement to avoid pulling in room air?

Not aware of any reason why the probe cannot be placed in the horizontal pipe run. The small hole drilled plus the magnetic mount does a good job of sealing; I wouldn't use cement, especially because the probe in the pipe would make cleaning difficult. You want to be able to pull the probe.

Status
Not open for further replies.