I have a screw loose! Uh oh!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
No big deal, I have spares! HA!
IMG_0110%2520%25281024x768%2529.jpg

I never cared for dogs on a saw. IMHO they just steal some of the bar length.

I wouldn't use a saw without. Saves the back and arms a bit.

So, quads, you gonna go for a Stihl screw, or one suitable for the rest of the world for 1/10 the price?

LLigetfa said:

For bucking I could see going without 'em but for felling they are indispensable IMO.

LLigetfa said:
Honestly, I don't use them very often, which is probably why I never noticed that missing bolt before. It may have even been missing when I bought it new less than a year ago. I run an 18 inch bar and with most of the trees I cut I always have plenty of bar leftover. Nothing much larger than 14-16 inches left in our woods. I do like a longer bar for bucking though because I don't have to bend over so far, easier on my back! I would run 20 inch on it if I could find them in stock at the dealers to fit it instead of always having to special order.

CTYank said:
So, quads, you gonna go for a Stihl screw, or one suitable for the rest of the world for 1/10 the price?
Being an old farmer and an ex-auto parts salesman, out of habit I always keep an assortment of nuts, bolts, and other things of that nature on hand. So I had some to fit it, and I doubt if they were genuine Stihl parts! HAHA! Might have even been a bolt that I salvaged from something else for the best price of all.......FREE! HA!

NOS Stihl one costs 34.95 + 7% tax + 12.24s/h (for a total of 49.64) and you can do it yourself to save a buck, because if you go to the dealership it costs 34.95 +7% tax + 30 to diagnose + 90 for labor (for a total 157.40), but they'll offer to toss it into their trash box for free (nice guys) and give you a goood deal on a new saw.

Those are not dawgs lol Thats bumb strip, best to have them.......................

Same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago, its a common metric thread, cost like $.90 cents from the hardware store or like $3.00 from stihl. I went with the hardware store. I just never noticed it getting loose.

I went back to my dealer for a screw on a newer saw and they gave it to me for free. If that saw is new, like less than a year or two, that screw should not have come out...

Yes, it was just the nut and screw that fell out, probably 50 cents. The saw is only 10 months old and by looking at all the gunk in the hole, I think it has been gone for most, if not all, of those 10 months.

MMaul said:
Same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago, its a common metric thread, cost like $.90 cents from the hardware store or like $3.00 from stihl. I went with the hardware store. I just never noticed it getting loose.

Juat make sure you get the right size...lol

ironpony said:
No disrespect sir, but
that screw is missing not loose
Yup! It's so loose that it's completely gone! HA!

smokinjay said:
MMaul said:

In this instance it has a nut on one side, no threads in the case.

quads said:
smokinjay said:
MMaul said:

In this instance it has a nut on one side, no threads in the case.

Oh MMAUL Bought bar nuts for the 880 just kept coming up a little small for the saw. The hardware store sore thay would hit....lol

smokinjay said:
Oh MMAUL Bought bar nuts for the 880 just kept coming up a little small for the saw. The hardware store sore thay would hit....lol
HA!

Worry not quads. We all get a screw loose from time to time.

Backwoods Savage said:
LOL

See my sig.

Backwoods Savage said:
HA! Me more so than not!

Status
Not open for further replies.