I have woodstack envy. Warning: Wood P*rn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
I drive by this place every once in a while. He has another stack just as big behind this one that is seasoned. These are about 4 foot lengths. I am so tempted to bring my 100 foot tape with me next time to measure. I have seen even more further back on the property a few years ago. Sorry, cell phone pic.

Attachments

• woodpile.jpg
    woodpile.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 497
fishingpol said:
I drive by this place every once in a while. He has another stack just as big behind this one that is seasoned. These are about 4 foot lengths. I am so tempted to bring my 100 foot tape with me next time to measure. I have seen even more further back on the property a few years ago. Sorry, cell phone pic.
Wow, does he sell it?

I'm not sure. I always look at the stacks, the farm buildings are across the street. I'll look next time. I can't see using that much for personal use. I'm trying to figure out why 4 foot pieces. Maybe he custom cuts for length and this makes it easier to handle. the stacks look rock solid, no leaning there.

Dang...it's the Great Wall of Massachusetts. %-P Rick

Looks like it may fit in some of those out door boilers.
Impressive
Lots of BTUs
Now that you got use curious,
You're going to have to stop by & ask. :)
Tell him you posted a pic of it on a wood shed forum Hearth.com & tons of woodcutters are curious.

I bet 4 footers make a stable stack.

Theres a farm out by my house where the farmer has stacks of 4 footers too, no where near that big, maybe a couple cords worth, everytime I drive by I wonder what hes using them for, he also has a few cords stacked of what looks like 18-20 inch splits, I assume for the stove in his house. Maybe the 4 footers are for a big heater in the barn?

Back in the days of horse logging and hand loading, 4' logs were the only way to log on small lots. A lot easier on the remaining trees.The chopper would be responsible for felling and cutting to length and stacking. They were paid on their production. The teamster was paid to get the wood to the landing.This method was still being used by some for pulp production a few years ago and small operators still do firewood this way.There was only one pulp mill that I recall that accepted wood cut this way. Not certain if they still do.

There was also some saw mills that bought 50" wood for the novelty trade, think tongue depressors, toothpicks,golf tees and such. Mostly white birch. A lot of farmers cut for this also as it paid more than pulp.
Then there was the flooring and turning mills. They would buy the 50" also. Used to be a bowling pin mill. They bought large qtys.
Shingle mills bought short rounds of cedar for siding. Most towns had a shingle mill back in the day.

Prolly the stacks you see are from old school loggers/farmers.

I have cut and stacked my wood 4' from tree length and then gang cut to 16" right in the stack. Kinda tricky on kickback though.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.