I hope I didn't make a big mistake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cold front

Mar 3, 2009
western,NY
Bought 3 tons of InstantHeat Addison,NY product at the TSC before checking this board. I always like to support the local guy but I have read a lot of bad things about this pellet here after a quick search. Also, just got done talking to another local pellet distributor who use to carry InstantHeat 3 or 4 years ago. It was of such bad quality at that time he had customers returning the stuff. Should have done my homework first...but the price was soooo good!

We have had a few cold nights the last week or so and had a chance to burn about 3/4 of a bag. So far not bad very little ash and the glass is clean (a little white in the corners), st croix precott on #4 manual set. The only thing I can say is wrong with the pellet is that there is a lot of longs in the bag and no PFI accreditation. I hope its not dirty at the lower settings.

Maybe they cleaned up their act because of all the negative feed back, maybe its just wishful thinking, it can't be any worse than Natures Heat pellets.

Also use a dead blow hammer instead of a metal hammer on the back wall of this stove.

cold front said:
Bought 3 tons of InstantHeat Addison,NY product at the TSC before checking this board. I always like to support the local guy but I have read a lot of bad things about this pellet here after a quick search. Also, just got done talking to another local pellet distributor who use to carry InstantHeat 3 or 4 years ago. It was of such bad quality at that time he had customers returning the stuff. Should have done my homework first...but the price was soooo good!

We have had a few cold nights the last week or so and had a chance to burn about 3/4 of a bag. So far not bad very little ash and the glass is clean (a little white in the corners), st croix precott on #4 manual set. The only thing I can say is wrong with the pellet is that there is a lot of longs in the bag and no PFI accreditation. I hope its not dirty at the lower settings.

Maybe they cleaned up their act because of all the negative feed back, maybe its just wishful thinking, it can't be any worse than Natures Heat pellets.

Also use a dead blow hammer instead of a metal hammer on the back wall of this stove.

I like the InstantHeat's. They burn nice in my stove. If they burn for you the way they have for me you will be happy.

PJPellet said:
cold front said:

I like the InstantHeat's. They burn nice in my stove. If they burn for you the way they have for me you will be happy.

Thanks for the positive feedback because I'd really like to like this pellet being a local product and cheap.

A friend finished the season last year with them and was very pleased with how they burned. He didn't see long pellets though, Some stoves have issues with longer than 2 inches. Not sure I would have bought such a large amount without a trial on them. How it goes OK for you. I think I would support local as well if they had a mill in CT. Someday maybe!

I used Instant Heats last year, no complaints. Few fines, good burn, no longs. I can't find them around here this year, though.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.