I Joined the 30-NC Cult.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
After years of waffling and waiting for perfection I now have a brand new NC-30 in my possession.

The install will take a few days to complete as I am working around work schedule and getting a couple of new pieces of double wall pipe as the dimensions of the NC-30 mean my double wall from stove to chimney needs some minor tweaking.

We have more dry wood ready this season than I have had over the past couple of years and we have more coming.

I am looking forward to the learning curve of moving from a small firebox non-EPA stove to a monstrous EPA stove.

If the legends of how much heat this stove can throw are true I will only need a t-shirt in my house instead of the sweaters we need to wear in half of my house with the small non-epa stove we have been using.

It's really nice to go from a house that's cold all winter to one that is whatever temperature you like all winter.

I'll see you in a couple months for your heat-moving thread (answer: run a fan on the cold side of the house blowing cold air to the stove room). ;)

Welcome to the club. My new NC30 is sitting 20 ft from its new home while I complete the rest of my stove room renos. Waiting for drywall mud has me really chomping at the bit. Another week and everything will be done......just in time for the weather to warm back up again. Lol.

Just a quick update/non-update..... Due to continuing pursuit of more firewood and a crazy work schedule the NC-30 installation has not proceeded beyond having it in the basement beside the old small smoke dragon.

At the same time, because we have a proper firewood supply in place both for moisture content, quality and quantity we have been more than able to keep the house at a great temperature thus far even with using only uglies and shoulder season wood (poplar/box elder/ assorted) in our existing stove.

The plan is as soon as we have an uptick in the temperatures for a day or 2 I will let the little stove cool down, run the brush through a couple of times to make sure its shiny (very little creosote ever builds up with our current setup) and make the changeover happen.

Its going to be a wonderful and a little bit nerve wracking experience for me to move to a large enough and more efficient heating unit that I know will have a learning curve for me and the other stove operators in the house.

Congratulations and great choice. I'm on my second winter of burning full time with mine and I love it, you can easily have enough coals in the morning for a match-less restart, and it will push out however much heat you need, and then some. My goal this year is to run it more efficiently, but it's been too warm here in Southern NH to fire it up yet!

Here's yer shirt.

englander t shirt.jpg

I got my 30NC put into place a few weeks ago now. I may have had 10 burns now, and Im really happy with it. Theres a bit of a learning curve coming over from a non epa stove but not too bad. They are a lot of stove when it comes to heat output. This thing cooks me right out of the basement and easily keeps the furnace off in our 1720 sq ft, 1 1/2 story house. I think its going to be a very warm winter for us.

Best of all, the only time I get any smoke is on initial start up and for a couple of minutes right after I add wood. The neighbors are happy, Im happy...EVERYBODYS HAPPY. :)

Can we get one where the stoves are on the pedestal base instead of the legs?

And that gold door/trim! I've never actually seen the gold plated bits. Since this is a budget, no BS stove from home depot I don't know if you can even get that anymore.

And that gold door/trim! I've never actually seen the gold plated bits. Since this is a budget, no BS stove from home depot I don't know if you can even get that anymore.

They quit making the gold doors and legs around 2008 if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam

Attachments

• IMG_0797.JPG
    IMG_0797.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 178
I guess im a fan, iv got 2 of em. Just hooked it up to a 35Ft. Brand spanking new Masonry Chimney. Its like a blast furnace on a tall chimney. But very controllable. I tell you ,you cant leave it on high air for long if you have strong draft youll be melting your flue pipe!

I tell you ,you cant leave it on high air for long if you have strong draft youll be melting your flue pipe!

Or your airwash plate! I've done it on just a 19 foot stack when the stove temp was fairly cool but throttle full open. For whatever reason my NC30 is very controllable, always able to reel it in by closing the draft rod.

Attachments

• IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: MDFisherman
Or your airwash plate! I've done it on just a 19 foot stack when the stove temp was fairly cool but throttle full open. For whatever reason my NC30 is very controllable, always able to reel it in by closing the draft rod.
Exactly ,no matter how hot it gets and looks like its going thermo nuclear ,that draft rod brings it right back. The 30 is very susceptible to draft differences. (as are most stoves i guess) In my shop it goes into a huge flue ,weak draft and i can hardly get the stove top temp up to 600 no matter the air feed. Put it on a tall strong draft flue system and it becomes a raging beast , but very controllable.

Reactions: MDFisherman
Reactions: blacksmithden
I love mine so far and I'm starting to get the hang of it. 23' chimney and it drafts like crazy. Once I learned that 700 - 750 degrees is ok, it's been much better. Saw the secondary tubes and baffles glowing red. Was throwing heat like crazy!

Ready to transition from my poplar stash to red oak.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak