I just hit the motherload. How much wood in this pile...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecfinn

Dec 12, 2005
Ambler, PA
Hi everyone,

I think I just hit the motherload of free wood. A tree service cut wood in rounds and piled it last year. In January the owner of the tree service unfortunately died. I was just contacted by the gentleman who owns the lot where they stored their equipment and wood. He just wants the wood to be removed so he can clean up and sell the lot. Its free!

Its piled roughly 12 feet high, 50 feet wide, and 25 feet deep. Considering that this is rounds, and not split, what do you estimate this pile contains? There is no way I can use all of it, so I'm probably going to put a friends friend in touch with this guy who owns a firewood business in exchange for giving me 4-5 cords of it. So any ideas? I don't have any time to process this myself and make some money off it, but maybe I can get some good free wood out of it.

I took one 6x10 trailer load of it tonight, but it literally didn't make a dent in the pile. Its probably better to move it with a bobcat and large trucks.

Later,

Eric Finn

Well, those measurements would be 117 cords. A couple of winters for Eric Johnson.

Eric, what a score ! If it were mine.........all mine, I would haul night and day if possible until I got it all off of the lot. Then I would hand select the wood I wanted to keep as in "oak" etc.

This is a once in a life time deal. I think this is almost like winning a rather large prize (small lottery) of some kind. :)

What kind of wood is the majority ?

Watch out for spiders and snakes, that is a deeeeep pile of wood. :ahhh:

Robbie

Eric I don't think thats enough for you, you had better keep looking for more.LOL nice find Eric, are you going to truck it or have someone do it for you?

I'm actively trying to work out a deal with a local landscaper who sells firewood. I'll hook him up with the pile if he splits and delivers x number of cords to me. X is still in negotiation. :)

I'd love to haul night and day to get it home, but I don't have anywhere to put that much wood on my 1/2 acre lot. I filled my 6x10 trailer about 2.5 feet deep last night so I probably picked up 2/3 cord last night. To be honest I don't have any idea what type of wood it all was. Seemed to be quite a mix judging from the relative weights/barks/grains etc. I'm guessing if it was a tree service then there's probably some of everything that native to SE Pennsylvania.

I'll hopefully no more today. If anyone in SE Pennsylvania want's in on this deal, contact me privately and we'll see what we can work out.

Later,

Eric

Vintage 181 said:
Our Motto when it comes to wood "too much is not enough"

Darn...I have too much.

12 cords and another good 2 cords to process..This is starting to get old. (not really) I do want to get to burning some of this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.