I just ordered two tons.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyDaug

Dec 26, 2010
Maine
I just ordered two tons of Maine Woods Pellets from Steve at Sibwoodpellets in Jay,Maine. $199 per ton delivered. Really nice folks. I wasn't able to try any in my stove beforehand, they are two hours away, so hopefully my stove will like 'em. They are not coming until the 14th, so I'll have to pick something up locally to tide me over. The local boxes are getting $187 per ton, no delivery, and they are not consistence. They have different brands every time I go check. All they had the other day was Fireside Ultra's, and half of those was water damaged.

jack56 said:
Good price, but no way would I order 2 tons without trying them!!

I agree with jack56 100%. The "nice people" and the nice delivered price won't mean much a month from now if they burn like cr*p in your stove.

Yea what they said. Two tons is a lot, thats almost the rest of the season worth of burning. Good luck. I just picked up two tons of Stove Chows from the big box across the river from me. I have been burning them and my stove seems to burn them pretty well. I get my pellets with credit card reward points so they are basically free, but still i want to get something that works well with my stove.

ScottyDaug said:
I just ordered two tons of Maine Woods Pellets from Steve at Sibwoodpellets in Jay,Maine. $199 per ton delivered. Really nice folks. I wasn't able to try any in my stove beforehand, they are two hours away, so hopefully my stove will like 'em. They are not coming until the 14th, so I'll have to pick something up locally to tide me over. The local boxes are getting $187 per ton, no delivery, and they are not consistence. They have different brands every time I go check. All they had the other day was Fireside Ultra's, and half of those was water damaged.

We ordered 4 tons after trying 3-4 bags.
They burn very much like the NEWP that we burned last year.
So far we are very pleased.
$199/ton vs almost $3.00/gal for oil= Good Deal!

Well I'll admit I ordered my 5 ton based upon Jay's testing and his prior testing of them and my experience in putting 6 tons of prior iterations through the dragon.

They are much improved and definitely are not a shoulder pellet.

I switched to them and burned slightly more than a half ton.

No problems, my dragon eats them just fine.

Burned one ton on trial, then went back for two more. But like it was said before, your situation many vary. At 199. delivered, any other pellet would have to be a whole lot better to be a better buy. For what it is worth, the workers at SIB are really good to deal with.

You should be able to find some MWP locally, try a few bags between now and next week. If ya don't like 'em, call and cancel the order.

Absolutely.... try before you buy large quantities.

I just tried 3 bags of Stove Chow from HD at $3.74 a bag and it burned pretty good. Very little dust in the bags, low amount of ash, and the heat output was good as well. I tried 3 bags of Penningtons and found alot of dust in the bags (like while I am pouring it into the hopper, as opposed to being mostly at the bottom of the bag), the heat was good but left a considerable amount of ash. I am getting ready to try 7 bags of Nations Choice which is suppose to be ultra low ash also sold at HD. I already went through 1 ton of Country Boy which was excellent but run about $5.40 a bag, so I am looking for alternatives.

Good to hear Kat & Will. I based my purchase on the positive reviews of the latest batch, and Jay's testing results. I could not find anything in my area with decent reviews within that price range, especially delivered. Hoss, I have been trying to find a few bags locally, but no dice so far, still looking.

been burning mwp's since day one , when they started selling at the mill. the first year were really bad pellets, and mwp did take alot of them back. this year(3rdyear) the quality is much better. i have no problem keeping my house at 70=75 deg. i burn approx 2 40 pound bags per day during cold days like this. one bag goes in when i leave for work at 5 am, and the other between 5 and 6 at nite. i have no complaints with mwp for the price, and will continue to burn them as long as they are cheaper than the rest of the manufacturers.

mike

Good to hear Mike.

I got to say you are brave using my results to go by. Don't forget I have the multifueler which tolerates "stuff" far better and is in no way pellet picky. You all make me nervous when you jump in without trials. I certainly hope they do OK for you.

Going by what MWP has out for this season is a far cry from what most think of MWP. I have burned some from all three seasons batches. This season is by far the best I have seen from them. Leaps above the 1st seasons. Far more are saying good than bad.

ScottyDaug said:
Good to hear Kat & Will. I based my purchase on the positive reviews of the latest batch, and Jay's testing results. I could not find anything in my area with decent reviews within that price range, especially delivered. Hoss, I have been trying to find a few bags locally, but no dice so far, still looking.

Not sure where in Maine you are, all the EBS stores (I think) carry MWP and will sell by the bag, TSC also

hossthehermit said:
ScottyDaug said:

Not sure where in Maine you are, all the EBS stores (I think) carry MWP and will sell by the bag, TSC also

He's fifteen or twenty minutes from me Hoss so EBS is out. TSC is in the Auburn/Lewsiston and Scarborough area.

Who has Corinth near you? If you stop in ask if they have the latest from the mills offerings. I must say there also making nice strides to impress me. Not sure how the price compares to MWP though?

Hoss, They smell MUCH better too! :)

No worries Jay. I also used the other positive reviews to make my decision. My stove is multi-fuel as well, so hopefully it has a high tolerance. I have not been able to find MWP in my area as of yet. I checked HD today, they did have Freedom Fuel, and Fireside Ultra the other day. Today those were gone and they had Stove Chow. Based on the positive reviews I grabbed nine bags of those to hold me over until the delivery of the MWP. Have not tried them yet. Finishing up the Fireside Ultras I had purchased. When I was talking with Wood Pellet Warehouse they said they sold 34 ton of MWP's on Monday.

ScottyDaug said:
No worries Jay. I also used the other positive reviews to make my decision. My stove is multi-fuel as well, so hopefully it has a high tolerance. I have not been able to find MWP in my area as of yet. I checked HD today, they did have Freedom Fuel, and Fireside Ultra the other day. Today those were gone and they had Stove Chow. Based on the positive reviews I grabbed nine bags of those to hold me over until the delivery of the MWP. Have not tried them yet. Finishing up the Fireside Ultras I had purchased. When I was talking with Wood Pellet Warehouse they said they sold 34 ton of MWP's on Monday.

Steve and I had a nice chat over coffee upstairs in the kitchen and they have been out straight for some time. I hope both of his pallet jacks are available. It was comical because I have the room so they can back those trailers up the the garage door and just use the pallet jack and place things on the floor. The day he hit here his other driver had the one operating pallet jack and was 18 miles away. He couldn't use the jack for most of his stuff and Steve and I were into the 5th ton after having had a long chat, when Jason showed up.

Smokey,

I'm just going to have them get as close as possible with the trailers and pallet jacks. Then I'm going to have to carry them by hand and stack them in my basement. That should give me a good workout. Luckily its only two tons, and not five, but I'm sure I'll think its plenty when I get them all stacked.

I usually buy 75-100 , 40lb bags a season(1.75 - 2 tonnes). We have many different but regular brands here. LG is one of our main manufacturers out of Quebec. Good pellets for $4.99/40lb bag.
I pile them all in a 8'x4' section of my basement on 2x6 lumber laying flat below them to keep the moisture from the concrete from entering the bottom bags. Been doing it for six years now.
Remember that storing the bags outdoors in any non-heated areas (sheds, garages, etc) can damage the pellets as they are absorbent and can take in moisture from the atmosphere.
They are in fact porous as are all wood products.
Mine stay neat, dry and ready to burn and they are easier to store and get at during the cold Winters here.
I store my 75 -100 bags in three(or 4) rows, end to end and 8 or 9 bags high. Any higher and risk crushing the bottom bags and it's also hard to handle them way up there.
Good Luck.
~Stan

Attachments

• Wood Pellet Storage.jpg
    Wood Pellet Storage.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 261
ScottyDaug said:
Smokey,

I'm just going to have them get as close as possible with the trailers and pallet jacks. Then I'm going to have to carry them by hand and stack them in my basement. That should give me a good workout. Luckily its only two tons, and not five, but I'm sure I'll think its plenty when I get them all stacked.

Goes back to that old saying, "Burning wood warms you twice" Doubt you'll have regrets!

save$ said:
ScottyDaug said:
Smokey,

Goes back to that old saying, "Burning wood warms you twice" Doubt you'll have regrets!

I heard a bit different than that, ISTR a warming count of more than twice when dealing with wood unless you have it all pre cut, split, dried, and delivered ;-).

If you are a true wood burner, you have to harvest it, etc .... None of this citified buying it all shrunk wrapped stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.