I just scored a new saw....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLAYS WITH FIRE

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Well.. newer saw! It is an MS261. I have a Farm Boss 290 that I bought last year that's like new but I needed another.

I was cutting a 30' cherry last week and instead of listenting to my instincts, I listened to my neighbor. Long story short, I got the bar tip pinched and could not get the saw out. I did get the power head off and tried to fire up the Poulon and it would not start. Another neighbor brought his Poulon over and we got the tree down with out harming the bar or the chain.

Lesson learned so I found a 261 a couple months old for 350. I also found a 440 for 450 that was like new. Just did not want to spend the extra hundred. I will receive it Friday and then will post pix.

Does anyone have experience with this saw?

I'd go buy the 440 too and sell your 290 on craigslist, because it will not get used with the 261 around.
+1

261 and 440 would be a great combo.

Reactions: smokinj
I was thinking the same.....have to do it so the wifey does not know or it be a chainsaw massacre! lol?
Buy a set of 290 decals/model plates. Swap 'em out.

"Gee hun, I don't know why my saw got so loud, fast, and ... cool. No dear, I've always had a 32" bar on my FarmBoss..... Nope, same old 290 for me. Yessiree."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reactions: Dairyman and ScotO
LMAO

Reactions: ScotO
The wife unit probubly doesn't know model numbers!...She might notice the sound difference...tell her you cleaned the muffler...
She might see the faster cutting speed...remind her that you cleaned that muffler. Tell her that you're surprised that she noticed the differences because you thought it was running a bit better yourself!

She notices decimal points.....I bring home the bacon but she pays the bills with it!

On a side note she's a vegetarian.

Grab em both & dump the 290. You run that 261 for about 30 seconds & you'll never wanna fire that 290 again. I swapped a nice 290 for a nice shape 026, & would never go back. A C

Reactions: MasterMech
Grab em both & dump the 290. You run that 261 for about 30 seconds & you'll never wanna fire that 290 again. I swapped a nice 290 for a nice shape 026, & would never go back. A C

I've said before that the MS290 is like a nice, clean, base V6 pickup truck. You certainly can appreciate it for what it is. (A work horse.) But buy a V8 and start hauling twice the stuff, and you'll never go back.

Congrats on the 261. I really like mine and it seems to be getting stronger and stronger the more I run it. PM sent.

The 290 will still be your go to saw, when you get the 261 pinched that is ;)

Reactions: amateur cutter
I am excited to try this sucker out.......I think the 440 would be overkill for know because mostly what I do now is cut up already down trees on 88 acres. We can't keep up with the downed trees so no need to cut standing ones. We have an awesome operation, we back the 4wd tractor with the round bail spike into position, lift tree and dice it. I bet we cut 12-15 cord this already. My uncle heats 2 houses with the outdoor boiler. That thing is a hog. ! house is a modular home and well insulated. The other is a 100 year old farm house remodeled. He goes through 10+ cord which I think is too much. That's a different forum!

I know bigger is better so in the future I will sell the 290 and get the big boy!

I am excited to try this sucker out.......I think the 440 would be overkill for know because mostly what I do now is cut up already down trees on 88 acres. We can't keep up with the downed trees so no need to cut standing ones. We have an awesome operation, we back the 4wd tractor with the round bail spike into position, lift tree and dice it. I bet we cut 12-15 cord this already. My uncle heats 2 houses with the outdoor boiler. That thing is a hog. ! house is a modular home and well insulated. The other is a 100 year old farm house remodeled. He goes through 10+ cord which I think is too much. That's a different forum!

I know bigger is better so in the future I will sell the 290 and get the big boy!

I can use 10 cords in a season....Hope to never do it again. 6 years and 60cords is a lot of work!;)

I can use 10 cords in a season....Hope to never do it again. 6 years and 60cords is a lot of work!;)

I processed 15 cord within 12 months a couple years ago. It got me 3 years ahead. I hope to never do that much again.

I processed 15 cord within 12 months a couple years ago. It got me 3 years ahead. I hope to never do that much again.

I do at-least 16 cords a year now every year. I do have help though, but it still needs to be cut in half to make it fun again!

If you hang your saws in the garage or shed rather than the kitchen or bedroom there shouldn't be a problem. ::-);lol::-)

If you hang your saws in the garage or shed rather than the kitchen or bedroom there shouldn't be a problem. ::-);lol::-)

Houston we have a Problem! :cool:

Reactions: ScotO

11 cords from April 2011 -January 2012.70% dead Red/Black Oak. With the mild winter just passed & what I had left,I'm about 4 yrs ahead roughly.Have 2 medium sized ones (Red & Bur Oak) left to drop,I'll get them done sometime soon.Nice to take a break now finally.

On a side note, a plastic wedge can get you out of trouble a lot of times when you pinch the bar or prevent pinching of the bar. I am using them more and more for jobs other than felling.

I totally agree with the advice above. I have the husqvarna equivalent (70cc and 50cc) and it is a sweet setup.

On a side note, a plastic wedge can get you out of trouble a lot of times when you pinch the bar or prevent pinching of the bar. I am using them more and more for jobs other than felling.

I totally agree with the advice above. I have the husqvarna equivalent (70cc and 50cc) and it is a sweet setup.

I use wedges probably when I don't even need them. No pinched bars though.

I have a 280. I would love to run a 261 side by side to see the difference.
I ran a guys new 290 a couple weekends ago. first time. its a good saw.
the 440 would be tempting.

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
I agree 100% with the wedges. I will purchase them tomorrow at the shop.

Well, I got the 261 and I have to say........Holy %hit, that thing truely pounds on the 290! It's not even in the same galaxy as the 290. I had to by a new chain as the previous owner hit metal and they really ground down the chain to almost nothing. So I did buy the chain that no depth guages or rakers? So that should definitley aid in the speed of cutting. But damn, I cut some 1 year old hedge round that I didn't split yet. The 261 with 18" bar didn't even bog down at all! I must say I am very impressed and you folks were more right than you know!

I took it all apart and cleaned it pretty good in a parts cleaner. Was mostly interested in the look of the piston and it was flawless. Didn't do a compression test as I ran out of time. The way it runs it must have good compression. I will post pix when I get a moment...

At least the saws are all the same color. My wife has never noticed I bought a new 441 a while ago :)

As mentioned above, get at least 2 wedges and use them frequently, even when bucking. You will never get your saw stuck again.

Status
Not open for further replies.