I know it has a long way to go...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
The wood is starting to show drying cracks- I know, long time to go, but any sign of drying is reassuring to me. Looking forward to getting the new stove and do not want bad wood to ruin the whole experience.

I know what you mean. I keep my wood on my in-laws' property to season/dry, but I usually drive past to take a look at it every week or two. Hopefully we don't have as wet of a summer as we did last year! I'm hoping to finally get two years ahead.

Remkel said:
The wood is starting to show drying cracks- I know, long time to go, but any sign of drying is reassuring to me. Looking forward to getting the new stove and do not want bad wood to ruin the whole experience.

Remkel, because of all the rain we had here in the northeast so far I'll go out on the limb and say we will have a nice summer for drying or seasoning wood.

GIBIR

zapny said:
Remkel said:

Remkel, because of all the rain we had here in the northeast so far I'll go out on the limb and say we will have a nice summer for drying or seasoning wood.

GIBIR

Actually been pretty nice so far- steady breeze across the yard and right through the stacks.

Best solution is to keep looking for opportunities to get ahead for next year. There are a couple of oaks in the yard that are looking oh so tempting :)

Actually been pretty nice so far- steady breeze across the yard and right through the stacks.

Best solution is to keep looking for opportunities to get ahead for next year. There are a couple of oaks in the yard that are looking oh so tempting :)[/quote]

Looks like starting this weekend and next week we finally get a stretch of sunny days which means cutting and stacking all week long.

Oak is great wood from what I've read on here but we don't have one on the property so that makes our ironwood the best btu wood on the lot but the beech and sugar maple are bigger plus we have more.

Zap

zapny said:

Best solution is to keep looking for opportunities to get ahead for next year. There are a couple of oaks in the yard that are looking oh so tempting :)

Looks like starting this weekend and next week we finally get a stretch of sunny days which means cutting and stacking all week long.

Oak is great wood from what I've read on here but we don't have one on the property so that makes our ironwood the best btu wood on the lot but the beech and sugar maple are bigger plus we have more.

Zap[/quote]

Got approximately 10 monster oaks around my house- to the point where I would rather take them down than see them come down on their own. Each is probably one to one+ cord of wood. One a year for a few years might do.

As you can see from my signature, I would love to get at those sugar maples:) That is my other wood burning hobby.

Remkel said:
As you can see from my signature, I would love to get at those sugar maples:) That is my other wood burning hobby.

How was your sap run this year? Ours was pretty poor. We are only running about 90 taps though as we are just cooking for two families.

Great run this year- we made 35 gallons on 120 taps. Started boiling second week of February and ran through the end of March.

A lot of medium amber- no grade a fancy, but we are boiling on flat pans so that may have contributed to that. Also, sugar content was low- but it was nice to see those three cord of wood boiling that sap!

I keep checking my stacks too. The hickory/oak i had delivered this winter is cracking nicely and I noticed the the bark is pulling on a dew also. What a difference a little wind, sun, and a nice stack makes in seasoning wood.

fv

Remkel said:
Great run this year- we made 35 gallons on 120 taps. Started boiling second week of February and ran through the end of March.

A lot of medium amber- no grade a fancy, but we are boiling on flat pans so that may have contributed to that. Also, sugar content was low- but it was nice to see those three cord of wood boiling that sap!
We got just shy of 2 feet of snow right before prime running time. It really killed the run this year. Our main pan is an old fluted Waterloo. Then we have a flat pan in front of that one that we finish on. My FIL welded us a pretty nice arch to cook on this year, so we were a little discouraged with the lack of sap.

Status
Not open for further replies.