I love my Timbrens & Dodge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
some freaking heavy Ash in the back, Family in truck, Saws and gear in tub on hitch rack. Probably grossly over GVWR. Handled great, stopped awesome, goes almost as fast as empty. Picture is from this morning. Can you even tell there's about 1500lbs(+) worth of ash in there?

Attachments

• IMAG0065.jpg
    IMAG0065.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 482
Shoot 1500lbs in either of my Dodges (2500 and 3500) just smooth out the ride.

It took about 3 tons in my 3500 to hit the bumpstops!

NATE379 said:
Shoot 1500lbs in either of my Dodges (2500 and 3500) just smooth out the ride.

It took about 3 tons in my 3500 to hit the bumpstops!

LoL, I think I might be estimating low on the weight, but I didn't want to get too much grief on the forum for overloading the thing... Everything I read says that a seasoned cord of Ash weighs close to 3,500-4,000lbs, my ash is NOT seasoned and I'll bet I get more than a third of a cord after I split it. So even if it's 1/3 of a cord and it is SEASONED it would be 1200-1300lbs. This stuff is very wet, so I bet it's more like 2000lbs worth of wood back there.

Danno77 said:
some freaking heavy Ash in the back, Family in truck, Saws and gear in tub on hitch rack. Probably grossly over GVWR. Handled great, stopped awesome, goes almost as fast as empty. Picture is from this morning. Can you even tell there's about 1500lbs(+) worth of ash in there?

Get that truck east, we have some heavy sugar maple (give me this weekend and some beech will need hauling also) that needs hauling out of the bowl down the hill to zap's house. Looks good.

zap

I had every bit of 1800 lbs on my F150 this weekend. Cherry and Ash rounds, stacked in heaped up over the bed rails. Squatted a little, but pulled strong.

Could have put some more on there weight-wise but would have chanced some wood falling out.

According to the local forestry dept cord of birch is 4800lbs.

during my home building process i routinely hauled 3000lb loads of gravel on mine
the savings of paying to have it hauled equaled alot of free gravel
and the best part I can get it one mile from my house
and I did get plenty of exercise unloading it

ironpony said:
timbrens ?? are those airbags??
no, more like a rubber bump stop between the frame and axle. It has some progressive give to it, but not a lot. When installed correctly you have an inch of gap so that your unloaded ride is EXACTLY the same as it would be without the Timbren. It took me less than 30 minutes to do the whole install. Used stock holes on the truck, no drilling or measuring or anything fancy required. Just unbolt stock bump stop and bolt new timbren in place. easy peasy. Cost = almost $200, but well worth every penny, IMHO.

I love timbrens, amazingly simple and dependable. Glad you chose them. Now you will notice that your tires are the indicator of being overloaded. Just how flat they are indicates the real load.

Here's the old Ford with 7000 lbs of trailer, 7500 lbs of truck, and at least a ton of wet red alder. The whole thing is about 1.5" from bottoming out, meaning 4-5" of compression. It seems Ford one tons have relatively soft rear suspension.

Nate: What the hell? They have asphalt, neighborhoods, rain gutters, and grass in Alaska? I thought everybody lived in concrete jungles or out in the bush. Never thought you all woudl have gutters. Nice load. Get some more wood on those racks to keep splits from falling from between the slats.

Attachments

• trucksmall2.jpg
    trucksmall2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 380
They don't fall through. On the next load I put the end pieces upright just to make sure even.

Yeah just a normal place like anywhere else in the US. The circle I live in has 10-12 houses, each lot is .5-.75 acres.... just big enough to be a PITA to mow!

Highbeam said:
... Now you will notice that your tires are the indicator of being overloaded. Just how flat they are indicates the real load...
LoL, so true. My rear tires were already looking like they'll need replacement sometime before winter really sets in, so I've been watching them carefully. If anything gives under the weight, I figure it will be those first. That could be catastrophic, but they aren't TOO worn yet.

I recently took my flatbed Yota to my local spring shop for a quote on some leaf spring work, while one of the workers was looking at my truck I was talking with the owner. I asked his opinion on Timbrens. He told me (and I quote) " If you or anybody else has Timbrens or airbags on their rig and brings it to me to work on, I will take them off and hand them back to you in a box, I have seen more broken frames and suspension damage caused by these things"

well i kinda took that with a grain of salt as I know he wants to sell me springs, but it was a pretty interesting comment. BTW he quoted me $600 + tax to take all my existing leafs off, reform them and add 2 more on each side, I thought that was a little steep so i left,am still considering the $220 Timbrens

sorry, double post

I am loving my new/used 2003 Dodge truck, I think I got lucky on this one. I think rather than overloading the bed I will just pull my box trailer and load it and the bed. Have not tried it yet, but it sures seems powerful enough. I pulled the boat out this weekend like it was a feather.

Notice the mean looking dog to go along with it.

dodge.jpg

The previous owner did a custom paint job and put this fake hood scoop on as well as a pioneer stero and a cherry bomb exhaust. I kind of feel like a kid again and for only $6,250.
dodge2.jpg

I have a trailer as well, (can see in photo parked on road hooked to my other truck) just easier to haul with the truck.

with my dodge ramcharger lifted with 1 ton springs i have to put almost 1000lbs just to make it ride smooth lol i love my dodge trucks overbuilt

Status
Not open for further replies.