I need a switch....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick06

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
media, pa
Hi all,

I have a whole house fan and need to replace the switch for it. I cant seem to find it and the brains at home depot and lowes cant find it either. So I wanted to ask here.

Its pretty basic, I just want a 3 position switch (not a dimmer) for off/low/high

Hot comes in and either goes to the "high" line or the "low" line that goes to the motor. The junction box I have is pretty shallow, I could probably replace it, but would prefer not to. The one that came with the fan was bigger than the junction box could easily handle, I forced it in, and after a month it cracked and stopped working. I replaced it with a regular switch, but now the fan only works at "high", but sometimes I dont want it on full power. Home depot and lowes only sell regular switches, or 3 way or 4 way (not what I need) or they sell their fancy digital stuff, which doesnt meet the need either.

Any suggestions? I tried searching ebay and amazon for 3 position ac switch and nothing turned up, so I am sure that I just have the wrong terminology. Can you guys help me out?

Thanks!
Rick

if this helps, whole house fans are usually 5 to 8 amps

Yep, the 10 amp one is the exact same one I had before.

Surprising that they are so much money. Oh well.

I will probably just order that again, and then replace the junction box so that I can get it in there.

I appreciate it guys!

Attachments

• rotarywholehousefanswitch.jpg
    rotarywholehousefanswitch.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 607
Status
Not open for further replies.