I need some help from our wood mathematicians

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

varna

Dec 2, 2009
SNJ
I recently cut some wood off of a wooded lot of a freind for his new solar farm. I have some Black Walnut that someone wants to come look at and maybe buy it. I am not into making top dollar for the wood and would just as well split and burn it but......maybe a little money for my time and trouble would be worth it this time. I have enough wood for 2 years already so I don't "need" this for firewood at the moment.
What I have is:
4 logs 20" dia. and 10' long
3 logs 16" dia. and 10' long
4 logs 12" dia. and 10' long all are dead straight with no "Y's" in them
There is also well over a cord of smaller branches from like 6" to 10" dia. about 4' long.
I would like to know, aproximately, how much wood I have in the logs cord wise (here's the math thing). I know I can stack and measure it......but....I thought asking would be MUCH "easier" ;-) I know what a cord of firewood goes for around here so this would atleast give me an idea what it is worth in firewood to compare to what/if I am offered.
They may be worth nothing, I don't know. Does anyone have a "guess" of what they might be worth? I would just like to have some knowledge when this guy shows up.
TIA

For each log, take the radius (half the diameter) in inches. Divide by 12 to convert the number to feet. square the radius and multiply by 3.14 (pi). This is the cross sectional area of the log in square feet. multiply the cross sectional area by the length in feet to give the volume of wood in cubic feet. Repeat for each log. Add up all the volumes. This is the total volume of wood you have. A cord of wood is about 85 cubic feet of solid wood, which equates to 128 cubic feet of stacked, split firewood.

For example: a 12 inch diameter log has a radius of 6 inches or 0.5 feet. 0.5 ft squared is 0.25 square feet. 0.25 x 3.14 is 0.785 square feet cross sectional area. 0.785 x 10 ft long is 7.85 cubic feet of wood in a 10 ft long, 12 inch diameter log.

159 cuft of wood.

So using the standard of 85 cuft (solid) per cord = 1.87 cord stacked.

(assuming I did the math correct. ;-) )

Doyle Scale Rule -

4 logs 20"diameter x 10' long - 160 board foot each log
3 logs 16"diameter x 10' long - 90 board foot each log
4 logs 12" diameter x 10' long - 40 board foot each log

Thistle said:
Doyle Scale Rule -

If I did the math right you have 1070 Bd. ft of walnut total. Found a couple of web sites from Google that are selling walnut by the bd. ft. for $6.50 / I would think that it may be worth $1 to $2 / ft on the hoof so to speak I don't know?? If it's clear knot free logs you maybe burning expensive fire wood, maybe someone else can chime in here.

will711 said:
Thistle said:
Doyle Scale Rule -

If I did the math right you have 1070 Bd. ft of walnut total. Found a couple of web sites from Google that are selling walnut by the bd. ft. for $6.50 / I would think that it may be worth $1 to $2 / ft on the hoof so to speak I don't know?? If it's clear knot free logs you maybe burning expensive fire wood, maybe someone else can chime in here.

Its gone down a bit here locally & most everywhere else the past couple years.Still good quality is worth at least $1/bd ft on the stump. Some will get you $2 if you're extra lucky,been a while since I seen any that good though.

Thistle said:
will711 said:
Thistle said:
Doyle Scale Rule -

Its gone down a bit here locally & most everywhere else the past couple years.Still good quality is worth at least $1/bd ft on the stump. Some will get you $2 if you're extra lucky,been a while since I seen any that good though.

Thanks for the info I thought I was in the ball park, and thanks for the Doyle Rule haven't heard that in about 40 yrs. when I was in Forestry school.

Thanks for all the reply's. The offer I got was cord for cord of mixed hardwoods for the walnut logs I have. I would have to take the logs and bring back the exchanged wood. I told him I'd let him know :roll: . I called some local sawmills around here and none of them are interested in buying them at any price. I was told no market.....right now anyway. So, for now I'll just stack them up for fall processing.
Thanks again folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.