I&O Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
I am new to this forum, but I am thinking about getting an I&O log splitter. From what I can tell they are built like a Mack Truck in the USA. Dependable and rugged. It would receive use from about three house in central Texas. I have seen in the archives that said the I&O has more umph to it than the Huskee of TSC. We would be splitting small, and some giant pecan, hickory, and oak trees that are dying due to the drought. I am thinking about the 34Ton due to the size and knots of some of the trees we have, but could the 27 ton do the trick? When I buy tools I like to buy tools that last, and that is part of my criteria too.

G6

Three of us just bought the 26 ton unit. Look back about 2 or so months. I think all there of us like our units. I&O is a great company to work with. Two of us bought them from www.buyacehardware.com. They had the best price I could find. Good luck and happy splitting.

P.s. Welcome to the addiction... I mean forum. :)

No problem at all. I split about 4 cords with my 26 ton and some of the rounds were around 30i ches in diameter. I was cutting my rounds at 20 inches tall. Split them all without any issues. Some of the logs had lots of knots and it went right through them. The 34 ton Would have been overkill for me.

Is the construction as good as they say? Honda motor? I did read that they seem to be stronger than the average Huskee, do you find that to be true?

Thanks for the answers to the question.

I got the Robbins Subaru engine and no problem, but I only have 4 cords through it. The quality of the build looks good. I have a leak in the valve, but I&O sent me a new one for free. I just have not installed it yet. They offered to have it replaced, but I didn't want to take the splitter someplace.

+1 On all of the above. I have a 26 ton with the Robin/Subaru and love it. (BHVH2609)

The only reason I would want the 34 ton (It's a slower cycle time than the 26 ton) is for the larger wheels for towing over the road. The small wheels on the smaller units can create a lot of bounce on rough roads even at 30-40 MPH.

I have no trouble blasting through knotty oak, apple, elm, maple, whatever. I have not found anything, anything</i), that it will not split in the 3 years I've had mine. Had some nasty knotty oak (rounds were 26" and up) on it this weekend actually.

To each his own regarding engine choice but I think the only real choices are the Robin vs. the Honda GX.

They are built like tanks in the USA (Illinois). Check the weight vs. a MTD or TSC unit.

Get the log dislodger attachment. Skip the log tray/cradle and get a 33flame unit instead. I have the I & O table and it is easily bent when used as a flat table. No trouble if you prefer it setup as a cradle.

http://myworld.ebay.com/33flame/ - He doesn't have any listed right now, maybe PM/email him?

I&O has been an A+++++ company to deal with. They sent me a complete tank/frame assy after I discovered a cracked weld that was leaking. The damage was most likely from some very rough towing (&%^$*$ State roads around here!) and in no way a negative reflection on how the unit is built.

wannabegreener said:
I got the Robbins Subaru engine and no problem, but I only have 4 cords through it. The quality of the build looks good. I have a leak in the valve, but I&O sent me a new one for free. I just have not installed it yet. They offered to have it replaced, but I didn't want to take the splitter someplace.

That's pretty impressive on their part since the whole valve isn't cheap and your leak probably could be repaired via a seal/o-ring kit.

I don't have one, but I looked one over at the local farm store. It was heck for stout. Looked to me like a lifetime machine. It is a dream for me, since we don't need a lot of firewood.

Welcome to the forum! I have had a 26T Iron and Oak since 2002. Have the 9hp Honda, no issues except a bent gas tank when a chunk of wood was dropped on it. The splitter has been used to split about 12 cords per year. It has never failed to split anything we can get into position vertical or horizontal. My son is 6ft 4in 270lb and helps with the big stuff. We had a leak in the control valve in 2010 and called the factory which is only 12miles away in Streator, Illinois. I took it in and had it back the next morning. They replaced the cylinder, control valve, hoses, wedge and hydrolic fluid. All parts were "recalled" items except the valve which was out of warentee. Cost was about $120 which seemed more than fair. People are great to deal with. I have heard the Robin engines are good but have no experience with them. I have been around the Hondas for about 30yrs in the highway and bridge construction industry. They seem to continue to run under the worst conditions. Easy on fuel! Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide on and how it works out.
Tom

jensent said:
Welcome to the forum! I have had a 26T Iron and Oak since 2002. Have the 9hp Honda, no issues except a bent gas tank when a chunk of wood was dropped on it.

I had the same thing happen to mine. It's a very small dent but I still cried. :-/

The splitter has been used to split about 12 cords per year. It has never failed to split anything we can get into position vertical or horizontal. My son is 6ft 4in 270lb and helps with the big stuff. We had a leak in the control valve in 2010 and called the factory which is only 12miles away in Streator, Illinois. I took it in and had it back the next morning. They replaced the cylinder, control valve, hoses, wedge and hydrolic fluid. All parts were "recalled" items except the valve which was out of warentee. Cost was about $120 which seemed more than fair. People are great to deal with. I have heard the Robin engines are good but have no experience with them. I have been around the Hondas for about 30yrs in the highway and bridge construction industry. They seem to continue to run under the worst conditions. Easy on fuel! Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide on and how it works out.
Tom

Holy cow! You got a new splitter! :wow:

See G6, I told you that you'd get some good answers here
Welcome to the forum.

I will probably go with the 26ton machine, though I won't purchase it until next year (February). I have enough wood on hand now for this season and possibly into next.

I am thinking most of the trees I will split are in the 30 in diameter range, however there is a behemoth pecan in the 42in range. Would the 26 ton handle that thing? Also, after reading this thread and the other, I will go with the Robbins motor and the tool that dislodges stuck wood. I am looking forward to the vertical aspect of it for the giant rounds.

I am thinking most of the trees I will split are in the 30 in diameter range, however there is a behemoth pecan in the 42in range. Would the 26 ton handle that thing? Also, after reading this thread and the other, I will go with the Robbins motor and the tool that dislodges stuck wood. I am looking forward to the vertical aspect of it for the giant rounds.[/quote]
These machines have plenty of power to split any diameter round less than 24in in height. (Cylinder travel is 24in.) The issue is how large a round can you horse into position. The round has to be in position against the beam even when you split vertically. When I dont have help I often "noodle" a round or split it with wedges/sledge in order to have a piece I can handle.
Tom

G6 at Snook said:
I will probably go with the 26ton machine, though I won't purchase it until next year (February). I have enough wood on hand now for this season and possibly into next.

I am thinking most of the trees I will split are in the 30 in diameter range, however there is a behemoth pecan in the 42in range. Would the 26 ton handle that thing? Also, after reading this thread and the other, I will go with the Robbins motor and the tool that dislodges stuck wood. I am looking forward to the vertical aspect of it for the giant rounds.

Can't comment on the I&O splitter, but 26 ton should be more than enough for most people. My 22 Huskee has yet to meet a round it couldn't handle. If it can't "split" it, it will shear right thru it.

Status
Not open for further replies.