I picked up my repaired splitter the other day. (photos of some elm splits)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
After being re-welded, I picked up my old gas powered splitter at the local welding shop. About 1-1/2 years ago, I was splitting and pushed the end of the frame right off of the splitter base! Hydro oil sprayed in a fine mist everywhere.

I had been hankering for a new splitter and picked up an electric/hydraulic ramsplitter soon after.

So, after I picked up the repaired splitter, I tried it out on some gnarly elm that I had around. The electric splitter wouldn't touch some of the pieces (16 ton splitter), but the gas powered one pushed right through them with a little struggle. I forgot how strong the gas powered unit was. I was impressed. See the photos of what it "split".

I still like the electric unit better. It does both horizontal and vertical and is MUCH quieter and no smell of exhaust.

I'll just me more selective of what type of wood I pick up. Unless it's straight elm with no twists and knots, I'm skipping it!

Attachments

• CIMG5548.jpg
    CIMG5548.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 365
  • CIMG5549.jpg
    CIMG5549.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 371
  • CIMG5550.jpg
    CIMG5550.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 388
  • CIMG5551.jpg
    CIMG5551.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 375
Looks like some good ugly elm alright enough. Nasty stuff.

I split some locus and it was all narley just like that. Some tough stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.