I.R. thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
I would like to pick up an IRT

Is there a national retailer (or any retailer in St Paul area) that carries these? How about brand/price suggestions?

I got one last year that I am more than happy with. It is an ATD-701. I am not sure where I got it. It was on line and I do remember the company was great to do business with.

This model has a range of -76* to 1022* and I think it cost about $70.00.

Be Green is the one who suggested it so you might PM him and he may know where to look the company up if you can't find it yourself.

Good Luck :coolsmile:

kobudo said:
I would like to pick up an IRT

Is there a national retailer (or any retailer in St Paul area) that carries these? How about brand/price suggestions?

Run a search on Amazon.com, using 'infrared thermometer' as a search term. You'll get LOTS of results.

I paid $50 for the model I purchased; I am very happy with it. I wouldn't agonize over the differences between the $40 model or $60 model or $75 model or $100 model. Buy the one you can afford. The specs talk about being accurate to within +/- 2 degrees for one model or +/- 5 degrees with another. As a new-ish stove owner, I quickly learned that, when measuring your stovetop, the difference between 475 and 485 degrees really isn't terribly important.

If I can't find one at a local store I'll have to order online. We are going to the cabin for Thanksgiving and want to pick one up before leaving if possible.

Several folks have the Harbor Freight unit and like it. I found the ATD-701 unit for a little less and with more features. It's designed for the auto industry and works well. Here’s more info including some online price links:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12924/

What ever brand you get, just be sure it reads up to at least 1000 degrees.

PS: If you have a Sears nearby, they also sell them. And call around to your local auto parts stores for comparison pricing.

kobudo said:
If I can't find one at a local store I'll have to order online. We are going to the cabin for Thanksgiving and want to pick one up before leaving if possible.

If you really need one in a hurry, I would imagine the tool section at your local Sears store should have a Craftsman model, which is probably good enough.

I expect you're old, er um I mean experienced enough to have worked out your own opinions on cost vs quality when it comes to tools, so I won't burden you with mine.

If you are a DeWalt or Snap-On kind of guy, though, this is the rough equivalent in the electronics biz:

41W9yZ9Fn9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Fluke 62 at Amazon (Might find it for a bit less if you search.)

Eddy

For $29.00 I think I'll buy that guy as a back up.
Thanks for the link.

Here ya go. $29.99 with free shipping. Coincidentally, the seller is is KY, so you will probably have to pay sales tax. But, you should get it pretty quick if they are fast shippers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Cen-Tech-Handheld-Non-Contact-Infrared-Thermometer_W0QQitemZ250331540526QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250331540526&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

The ratio of the other one at 12 to 1 is better than the 8 to one of the cen-tech (harbor freight)

Done. Thanks for the link. I'll compare it to the one I bought from thr Snap On guy and let you know. Once again thanks for the link, you made it too easy.
Joe

velvetfoot said:
The ratio of the other one at 12 to 1 is better than the 8 to one of the cen-tech (harbor freight)

What is the benefit of 12/1 versus 8/1 in our application? You have to stand 4 feet closer to the stove?!?!?

you have to stand four feet closer that was funny!!!

I found one at harbour frieght for 29.00. Goes up to 989 f

If you need it in a pinch, I was able to get one at Lowes for about $48. It only runs up to 712*, but for my application that is fine.

advance auto parts has one that goes to 990's for 49.99 in my town

FireaddictSC said:
I found one at harbour frieght for 29.00. Goes up to 989 f

Just ordered one I like that it can read up to 989 (not that I ever plan on having my stove temp get that hight but still!)

Thanks for the link

Status
Not open for further replies.