I really didn't need this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fossil

Accidental Moderator
Sep 30, 2007
Bend, OR
So far, the mildest winter I've known here in the central Oregon high desert. Mostly warmer than average temps, and just a couple of light dustings of snow. Well, here it is almost March, and it's like the weather said, "Oh, I forgot...here!" The last three days have left about 6" of snow on the ground (not much where some of you folks live, but a fair amount for us here), and with the predicted temps it ain't gonna be melting away anytime real soon. We're likely to get some more before the week's out. Just when I thought I was about home free. :shut: Rick

Bummer. Been looking over my shoulder here. Average nights but a whole bunch of above average days. I keep expecting one of those late Feb. or early March dumps we had in the past.

Damn near 60 here today. 24 last night
Round here, we don't usual miss winter, it just starts later, and finishes later.
This year..... might have missed it all together cept for about 2 weeks worth.
Cmon Spring!

Yeah, this has been a bit bizarre. This past Friday our daytime high temp was 63°F, and the following day it was 37°F. :roll:

Weather was weird here too. Had heavy snowshowers and sun at the same time. My son asked if there's such a thing as snowbows? We looked, but didn't see any. I'm surprised it got that cold down your way. Our snow didn't stick. We're too close to the water. But they got plenty of white stuff in the mountains.

Winter just started last week. Looks like it might stick around for a while now.

I'm happy so far.

The 20 - 3-F degree swings from night to day are easy to deal with.

Figures that the year I decide to not put firewood on the back deck because it's a pain to shovel around is the year I don't have to shovel >:-(

BeGreen said:
...I'm surprised it got that cold down your way...

You shouldn't be. I'm ~150 miles inland from the coast, ~25 miles east of the Cascade Range (HUGE rain/snow shadow), and up at ~ 3600 feet elevation. Way different from your location. Rick

We are at 190 ft. and it isn't very cold up here. :)

BrotherBart said:
We are at 190 ft. and it isn't very cold up here. :)

Yeah, I know, I lived for 12 years a few miles north of you and maybe a hundred feet or so higher. Seems to me I remember it getting plenty cold there a few times, and typically a good deal more snow than I see here each year. Fairfax gets something like 46" precipitation/yr...out here in Bend, I get ~12". Rick

It was that higher elevation over in Fairfax. :lol: We had some doozies back in the late eighties and the nineties for sure. Got a by for a while and it all caught up last year and the year before. I think Feb. is going out with an inch and a half measured. I can remember years in March where I was out digging wet downed wood out of the snow to sit it by the stove to try to dry the dang stuff out.

No more. I have been hauling the oak rounds up the hill to split this Spring for 2014/2015.

Sounds like mother nature got in a back hand to the cheek. Its been a mild winter here, as well, but I ain't counting on Mother nature being done with this winter, yet.

The title of this thread is what I say to myself every time I come home from shopping... :shut: :smirk: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.