I reduced my draft on the stove unintentionally

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2006
NW Iowa
This is for those that might find this interesting. Since installing the Mansfield I have a almost problematic issue with overdrafting as did the previous stove.

Well about a month and half ago we had our carpet in the basement cleaned as we had noticed a black line in the carpet that was getting worse. Well I pulled the carpet up in this area and found a crack that run the length of the basement floor from expansion of the slab I guess (50 ft long 1/8-1/16" wide). This would also explain why the radon test came back positive but reduced after the first pipe was installed below the slab. The second pipe brought it to correct (safe) levels. I am thinking of retesting again now to see if it dropped the level even more now which it should have.

The reason the carpet was getting dirty is that we have a radon system that had to penetrate the floor (4" pvc) in two different ares of the slab and one in the wall. Well the fan was creating a vacuum and was pulling air through the carpet and making it act like a filter darkening the carpet. I hand chiseled the crack out and sealed it really good with polyurethane and ever since I have had to use the dampener in the pipe above the stove less. So in the winter the basement could have a positive pressure under it?

I also sealed upstairs a wood box that has an outside door to load wood in so you can open a door (not air tight) to get wood for the fireplace. I put a sheet of plastic behind the house side doors and then put insulation between the doors and the plastic and now no more air comes in through there and it seemed like a lot cause you could feel the cold air coming in there if near that area.

The one other thing I did before the burn season was to replace all the seals on our pella sliding door (house built in 1984) so I am certain that tightened things up as well.

The point in this is that if you are having a really really strong draft start knocking down the air leaks. Just these three things I changed are sure to make the house easier to heat.

Seal-em up :) and test your house for Radon levels

Hopefully you don't forget to close a window and get a runaway fire! Seriously, I would rather not control the draft of my chimney by tightening the home. You are essentially putting your home in a low pressure situation to the point that air is struggling to go up the chimney. What happens when you turn on a vent fan in the crapper? It could actually suck smoke back down the chimney. With an outside air supply tightening your home should have no effect on draft.

I guess I should have said that now the draft is very predictable now and very stable as in the way you would expect it to be where one might not have to use a dampener. We can run a dryer and it does not pull smoke from the stove since in the furnace room adjacent to the laundry room there is a 4" pipe that brings in fresh air from outside very the very purpose of the house being to tight for the furnace or stove since the stove was in place when built.

It seems that the house being 24 years old is not as tight as it once was.

This summer I need to replace the seals on our casement windows (pella) I am noticing that I can feel some air coming in on really cold days and a couple of the windows have a lot of dew on them in the inside so I laid a rooled up shirt there for the mean time.

Status
Not open for further replies.