I say Sugar Maple. What do you think?? Pics included.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Just scored from friend of friend. It was from previous owner of the house, it was left in the yard. I think its sugar maple, as there are many around that area- and thats what it looks like to me. What do you guys say? Thanx. :)

Attachments

• sug 1.jpg
    sug 1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 526
  • sug 2.jpg
    sug 2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 513
  • sug3.jpg
    sug3.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 529
Unfortunately the lower split looks like tulip poplar. The others in the PU don't look like tulip. Split those open.

gzecc said:
Unfortunately the lower split looks like tulip poplar. The others in the PU don't look like tulip. Split those open.

Sure could be!

There are maples ALL OVER the place in the yard ,and the neighboring yards. And the bark looks exactly the same on the rounds as it does on the trees. I think it HAS to be sugar maple.

Pic one looks like tulip and pic two look like sugar pic three is a toss up.

kestrel said:
Looks more like Norway Maple bark to me.

That's what I was thinking, I find Norway are more common in yards than Sugar Maples. If it's an older area that's has 100 year old house I could see them being Sugar Maples. People today don't have patience for slow growing tree's so they plant Silver or Norway maples more often.

Here's a couple pictures of sugar maples.

Attachments

• Sugar Maple.jpg
    Sugar Maple.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 416
  • Sugar_Maple_03_Bark_medium.jpg
    Sugar_Maple_03_Bark_medium.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 389
You guys are right_ AGAIN!! :cheese: Ive been doing some research. Thats what is is ,alright!

Doesn't look like norway at all to me.

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like Hickory??

First picture on the left in the pickup has bark that looks just like the Norway maple in my grove.

Its all from the same tree- which Im being convinced is Norway Maple. :smirk: I'll live with it. The price is right- FREE!

Looks like Norway Maple to me too.

Our town offered them to homeowners in the 50ies and 60ies and planted them extensively any time they rebuilt an old country road. Many are getting cut down now because they can be impossible to grow grass under due to the roots and dense canopy.

The REAL questions is: what's a maple from Norway doing in the states, eh? Clearly we need to tighten our borders.

I think that it is definitely norway maple.

I took one down for a friend this summer and got to keep the wood.

rounds and splits look exactly like yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.