I should have held off on the 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that there has some real mountain character.

Wow.... not only did he BUILD it, but he MOVED it.

Now, K.. you know a woman's work is never ever done. I say go get it and pay what ever the price is for it.

Geez, what's holding you back?

angry-smiley-007.gif

roll.gif

WOW $300 for that piece of scrap iron.its amazing what people think these old smoke dragons are worth. You can buy some pretty nice EPA stoves these days for around 5 bills.

Would have heated this place safer than the barrel stove I had in the basement for years. But would not have looked as good as that 30 in Kat's fireplace must look.

IF SHE WOULD EVER POST THE DAMN PICS OF IT!!!

Reactions: LEES WOOD-CO
Would be a great burn barrel. But not at that price.

Looking at the pic with the door open, all I can think of is that its primary purpose was to burn junk mail.

Would have heated this place safer than the barrel stove I had in the basement for years. But would not have looked as good as that 30 in Kat's fireplace must look.

IF SHE WOULD EVER POST THE DAMN PICS OF IT!!!

We get pics of her kid, of chickens, of dogs. WHY YOU NO POST PICTURE OF STOVE?!

I think she is CIA. It is a national security thing.

What's all the fuss? You could see the stove in this chicken/boy pic :p

Attachments

• househen.jpg
    househen.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 215
That is almost as attractive as one of those...how do you say... BLAZE KINGS.

Reactions: ScotO
All you people with little tiny stoves in your cozy little living rooms must have no idea what it takes to heat a big open space like a pole barn or shop.That piece of scrap iron will put out more heat than 5 Enganders lined up next to each other. EPA stoves are great but they just don't make one to heat a really demanding large area. My neighbor heats his machine shop with a best like that (10cuft stove) and it does a great job.

All you people with little tiny stoves in your cozy little living rooms must have no idea what it takes to heat a big open space like a pole barn or shop.That piece of scrap iron will put out more heat than 5 Enganders lined up next to each other. EPA stoves are great but they just don't make one to heat a really demanding large area. My neighbor heats his machine shop with a best like that (10cuft stove) and it does a great job.
And i have a330 Gal oil tank that i made a woodstove out of that will put out 5 times as much heat as your neighbors, so what. The fact still remains that rusted piece of scrap iron in not worth $300 and neither is my oil tank Stove.

And i have a330 Gal oil tank that i made a woodstove out of that will put out 5 times as much heat as your neighbors, so what. The fact still remains that rusted piece of scrap iron in not worth $300 and neither is my oil tank Stove.
Not arguing the worth just that those big home made beasts have there place. Yes our EPA stoves are great but will never replace those kinds of heaters for seriously demanding situations. And BTW it didn't look all that rusted to me. Slight surface rust is all I saw. Actually for a home made one it looked pretty well fabricated. I'll bet an oil tank stove would really heat a big hard to heat space. The more radiant area the more heat it should put off.

[quotei="wkpoor, post: 1092170, member: 7694"]Not arguing the worth just that those big home made beasts have there place. Yes our EPA stoves are great but will never replace those kinds of heaters for seriously demanding situations. And BTW it didn't look all that rusted to me. Slight surface rust is all I saw. Actually for a home made one it looked pretty well fabricated. I'll bet an oil tank stove would really heat a big hard to heat space. The more radiant area the more heat it should put off.[/quote]

Yes there is quite a few SQ ft of heat exchanger there. Have to have 4 Fans blowing across it just to keep it from going nuclear .
I see these old smoke dragon woodstoves on craigs list all the time and people trying to get as much as $1000 for them. Theres also a few bargains mixed in as well,but it always amazes me some of the prices they ask for stuff they found in their garage or uncle jeds woodshed.

I agree. It looks pretty well built for what it is. Much better than a vz barrel kit.
I have a barrel kit stove, they are not bad for $25 .I also have the 2nd barrel add on like $15 More. I think the first lower barrel lasted 5 years before i had to change it ,the top one is still original ,about 8 years. They throw loads of heat for the $40 investment.Possibly cuz the steel is pretty thin. Many garages give empty steel barrels away free. Quite suitable for a garage or work shop.

I have a barrel kit stove, they are not bad for $25 .I also have the 2nd barrel add on like $15 More. I think the first lower barrel lasted 5 years before i had to change it ,the top one is still original ,about 8 years. They throw loads of heat for the $40 investment.Possibly cuz the steel is pretty thin. Many garages give empty steel barrels away free. Quite suitable for a garage or work shop.
My FIL sold a homemade stove (pretty darn nice actually) for 400.00 a couple yrs ago. I wouldn't have given 50.00 for it but like anything he found the right lid for that jar.

Years ago I heated this joint with a double barrel in the basement. Later I put doors and racks in the top barrel and made a great smoker out of it after I moved it outside. That bad boy would throw a ton of heat and eat tons of wood. Burned so hot the chimney tiles looked brand new after a few years use. Only did it because the only thing close was cement block walls.

I didn't ever go to bed with more than a coal bed in that thing though.

...I didn't ever go to bed with more than a coal bed in that thing though.

Dang, I don't think I would've ever gone to bed in that thing regardless of what else was in there. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.