I think I got screwed on my firewood..... my englander 30-NC doesn’t like it...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakislayer

Oct 4, 2008
Pasadena MD
So I have my Englander 30-NC newly installed and it's pumping out heat like crazy. I had been using some oak that had seasoned at least 6 years if not longer.... So I went thru that so I had a cord of oak and a cord of oak slab wood delivered yesterday.... that stuff wont burn. It was supposedly "seasoned", but I almost need to pour gas on it to get it to burn.... (no I didn't do that... ). My stove was loving the old wood and would start with just a couple pieces of newspaper a pit of kindling and a nice split. The new wood really sucks.... I paid $350 for the two cords and man am I disappointed. It will probably burn good next year, but certainly not anytime soon...

I got a couple country boys bringing me another cord.... They say it was seasoned 1.5 years (split) so I guess we'll see. I guess it serves me right for waiting till January to get firewood.....

Not to be pessimistic, but sometimes Oak can take up to 3 years to properly season.

I would see if you can purchase a small stack from the country boys and give it a try before buying a full cord....

"Seasoned" is pretty ambiguous- you may have been screwed. Remember also, however, that slab wood needs a bit more arranging to get good air flow around it. Whatever you get probably won't compete with that 6 yr old wood anyway :)

BTW- I assume you're a saki fan. Went to a party the other night and brought 3 bottles- a ginjo and a nigorizake were in there- I dunno- I picked 3 that looked good for serving cold because they didn't have the daiginjo that I like. I also brought a home made sake bottl and several home made cups (I make wood fired pottery) and gave them away to the friends that seemed to like sake (not for everyone). Anyway- I love the stuff.

typically , reburn type non-cats dont like unseasoned wood. bummer you have so much and were probably needing to be burning it right now. but its like money in the bank sitting there if you can get another source to last til it gets seasoned properly. when you get it stacked make sure your stack of slab wood is airy so it can have as much exposed surface area as possible to assist in moderately faster seasoning.

Sakislayer said:
So I have my Englander 30-NC newly installed and it's pumping out heat like crazy. I had been using some oak that had seasoned at least 6 years if not longer.... So I went thru that so I had a cord of oak and a cord of oak slab wood delivered yesterday.... that stuff wont burn. It was supposedly "seasoned", but I almost need to pour gas on it to get it to burn.... (no I didn't do that... ). My stove was loving the old wood and would start with just a couple pieces of newspaper a pit of kindling and a nice split. The new wood really sucks.... I paid $350 for the two cords and man am I disappointed. It will probably burn good next year, but certainly not anytime soon...

I got a couple country boys bringing me another cord.... They say it was seasoned 1.5 years (split) so I guess we'll see. I guess it serves me right for waiting till January to get firewood.....

It might just be wet from the recent rain on Tuesday & Wednesday... about 2" around here so give it a week or two
to dry out and then see how it burns.

unseason oak is worse then burning green cottonwood

Boy you've got a Jealous Englander! I've heard about being married to your stove, but why would yours care about what you do on your firewood? ;-)

Yeah -- the wood was the problem. My country boys dropped off and stacked a cord wood yesterday and that stuff burns nicely. The only charged me $30 more then the other guy to deliver and stack it... money well spent. Them two guys had to be the most polite people i've met in my life.... I must have been told "yes, sir" -- or "no problem sir" about 100 times......

My stove LOVES the new wood.... Not as good as the 6 year old oak, but what is, right?

thanks for all the input.... Oh -- and "SakiSlayer" -- is Kawa-SAKI Slayer..... Although I do like saki....

Sakislayer said:
Oh -- and "SakiSlayer" -- is Kawa-SAKI Slayer....
We just called them cows for short.

What do you get when you put a clown on a motorcycle?

Yama ha ha ha!

I'm glad you found a source for well-seasoned wood. $350 for 2 cords of oak seems really good, though. If you prefer oak over what the other guys provide, you could buy a couple more cords now so it's all decently seasoned for next year (or possibly the year after, depending on how recently cut it is!).

Yeah -- I'm going to finish stacking the "green" stuff I got and buy a couple more cords in Mar/Apr.... I actually have some dead trees on my property so I may go that route too.... You can never have too much wood -- at least that's what the wife tells me!

Status
Not open for further replies.