I think I may be in love...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy19

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2010
Southern IN
... with Sugar Maple.

What's not to like about it?

Pros: Slightly higher BTU than White Ash (may depend on what source you look at) and only slightly lower than White Oak; splits by hand like a hot knife cuts butter; smells WONDERFUL while cutting, splitting, and just anytime you walk past the stack; it has a pleasant smoke, no sparks and good coals.

What's not to like about it? Is there anything bad about Sugar Maple?

The reason I say this is because I never considered it a good wood before, but I was looking over charts and saw that it has a pretty high BTU content, and noticed that my latest source of wood had one there. So I cut it a whole truck load, and I split it all by hand yesterday morning. It smells good! I also saw on a chart that it seasons fairly quick, almost as quick as ash does.

So today while cutting more at my source I walked the area and found 2 more good Sugar maples. One of them looks like a pretty good score, probably 2 truck loads. Also found a couple white oaks on the ground. Looks like I'm going to be cutting for a while yet. I'm trying to get as much as possible before other scroungers find out; there are already a few that found the source but they're cutting much slower than I am. I've got 1 load of ash, 1 load of maple, 5 loads of oak, and 1 load of poplar hauled out so far. The poplar isn't really ideal, but it was in his yard and he wanted me to "take the bad with the good". I have one more load of poplar to haul, and then I can go to town on the remainder of the oak and maple that is in his woods (2-3 loads of oak and 2-3 loads of maple left).

So back to the question, is there any downsides to maple? If not I may replace the highly desired oak with maple in my searching.

I love maple, burns great. Nice score

Shawn G said:

Good to see I'm not the only one.

Anybody know why maple wouldn't be a nearly perfect wood?

How long will this take to season? Any hope of burning this late winter this year?

CountryBoy19 said:
Shawn G said:

How long will this take to season? Any hope of burning this late winter this year?

Hint, don't overload it with sugar maple it might just decide to take off. I use sugar maple for the real cold days plus the overnight burns, it should take at least one year for seasoning.

zap

i agree. sugar maple is my fav wood to burn. seasons quickly i had a cord of it season in about 1 year. it left huge hot coals in my stove. i didn't notice much about the smell, but it beats oak just in the seasoning time.

CountryBoy19 said:
Shawn G said:

It is not the perfect word for me as there is very little in this area just a ton of silver maple which is OK at best.

I have a lot of sugar maple, it burns really well. I think it produces a littke more ash than some wood. A lot of mine has been hard to split.

I like burning maple, but I don't get much. The only downside to sugar maple for firewood is that Sugar Maple is my absolute favorite tree in the living form. I cringe when I think of cutting a live healthy one. but if it's dead or dying or its thinning serves a greater good for surrounding trees, then it's fair game.

Danno77 said:
I like burning maple, but I don't get much. The only downside to sugar maple for firewood is that Sugar Maple is my absolute favorite tree in the living form. I cringe when I think of cutting a live healthy one. but if it's dead or dying or its thinning serves a greater good for surrounding trees, then it's fair game.

I agree with you Danno77, I'll take them if there down or topped off but if there healthy trees they stay.

zap

A good hard maple can be worth some big dollars if you can get any saw logs from it. I'll never forget one time back in the 1950's when we sold one 12' hard maple log for the unheard of price back then of $500. We kept looking for more like that but never found one to match it.

For firewood, that maple coals nicely and will give you much wanted heat. Let it dry for a year at the least.

Downside to sugar maple? 1) One of my favorite trees in shape,form and coloring (especially in the Fall) and 2) Cut a sugar maple now and it will keep you warm for a winter, leave it be and tap it and it will provide syrup to you for a life time.

That said . . . I burn sugar maples . . . but these are usually growing alongside the fields and would be cut sooner or later.

I would never turn it down, that being said I find that it creates a ton of ash and coals. I find at times I need to remove coals from the stove in order to keep room to add new splits.

Not in my top 4 species but....

Werm, I have a problem relating to your problem. I've never yet taken coals out of our stove to make room. There are ways of burning those coals down so you don't have that problem and end up wasting good wood.

for me sugar (hard) maple is the best of the best...you cant compare ash to maple,least not the stuff round here,not even in the same class

roddy said:
for me sugar (hard) maple is the best of the best...you cant compare ash to maple,least not the stuff round here,not even in the same class
Not sure what is wrong with your ash as white ash is very close to the same rating with green ash being off a little.

nothing wrong with our ash. it cant compare to our maple is all

roddy said:
nothing wrong with our ash. it cant compare to our maple is all
Thats what I am saying that the white ash should be a fair comparision to the sugar maple.

according to various charts etc,you would think they are comparable,but put ash in the stove and it doesn,t last as long,coal as well,or give off the heat as well as hard maple....i think a lot of what passes for white ash up here is really brown ash

Maybe that is the same as Mulberry compared to white oak, almost the same on the charts but have always thought oak was better than mulberry, yes if you have green ash the wood is a little more brown and not quite as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.