I think that it is time that I admit that I have a problem....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade A.

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2010
South
My wife staged an intervention this morning, along with the rest of the family and some of my closest friends. It was painful, but I had to face up to what they told me. I can't say that I haven't been aware that I've increasingly isolated them, and that my habits have been steadily drawing me further and further towards a very dark place. I'm just thankful that they were able to make me face myself, and the shame I feel for what I've become. I guess I should have done this for myself...after all, it was just last night that I found myself cruising late at night through questionable neighborhoods.

You see, I had made a connection earlier that day, with the city tree removal crew. I told them what I was looking for, and they hooked me up. Thing is, that tree wasn't enough (Is it ever?), and I had to have more, always more. And increasingly harder woods. I started out on tulip poplar, thinking like we all do that I could handle that, no problem. This week, I moved on to hickory and I don't care what I have to do to get it. The size of my woodpile has become a symbol of shame for my children, who ask to be let out down the block when others give them a ride home. I think that it was an incident three days ago that really convinced my wife of how far gone and desperate I was. She walked in on me unexpectedly when I was scrolling through thumbnails of woodpiles here on the forum. I tried to minimize the screen as fast as I could, but I know she saw.

So, it is going to be a long road back. I really won't be able to fully begin my recovery until all the wood I have is gone. I plan on starting that, oh, around this October, when I'll be getting rid of all of it...one stick at a time. I knew that you here would understand.

Hi, Ploughboy. Admitting the problem is always the first, and hardest, step. Just remember that everyone here is an enabler, a co-dependent. You can't trust any of us for the support you need to kick this insidious habit. But we wish you well.

I gave in yrs ago.Since I quite smoking in 1995,drink in moderation & eat a healthier diet now - I gots to have at least one bad habit.Besides,it helps keep me in shape so I can continue felling,bucking,splitting,stacking & burning.

Its a vicious circle I tells ya.... ;-)

Screw that! Just had an oil delivery $827 for 228 gallons. Last filled in Nov. Still use oil for hot water and very rare occasion furnace kicks on for heat. My wood addiction is a good thing!

(btw - I loved your post, well written too!)

Seriously though, I'm accumulating one b.a. woodpile this Spring. If I can get it all split, I'm going to be set for a good while and have forearms like Popeye. Due to security concerns, I won't post any photos. Besides, you wouldn't believe them if I did. More storms predicted........

It sure is great to look out at that B.A. woodpile(s) isnt it!!!!! I'm at roughly 20 cords stacked now

Holy Crap, 20 cords?!! I am but a piker. Maybe ten. You see, no matter how low you sink, there is always another guy further gone than you. Thanks for putting my problem in perspective. I'm pulling for you.

ploughboy said:
Holy Crap, 20 cords?!! I am but a piker. Maybe ten. You see, no matter how low you sink, there is always another guy further gone than you. Thanks for putting my problem in perspective. I'm pulling for you.

I've lost count but have surpassed the 20 cord mark. I no longer haul the wood home for fear of ridicule from family members or neighbors ;-) Now I just hide the split/ stacked wood right at the wood lot where I'm working at. I just tell the owner that I'll need a year or two to clean up his lot, then I start from the center out. The thick buckthorn around the outside of the lot gives me all the camouflage I need. I will bring the good stuff home but the lesser woods that I intend to sell season at the lot, and will be delivered right from the lot :)

I've got more freshly downed wood available to me than I can use in a lifetime but it's already just too darn hot to be splitting (by hand only). I've got more than enough split and stacked for next winter. I like to do my processing in Fall and Winter. Got way behind this past winter when I broke my ankle in mid October. Still got close to two cords cut, split and stacked after that.

ploughboy said:
My wife staged an intervention this morning...... I knew that you here would understand.

:) Well done.

this is why i figured i might as well try and sell some.. i love doing it so much that i might as well do something i love to make a little extra. nothing crazy but maybe make a little. god know what could happen. it could turn into something else down the line. take it slow.

When you get more wood than Zap or Solar has, then you can consider yourself with some big wood piles. They don't start getting big until you are around 20 cord.

Saying you think you have a problem with your wood addiction to us here is akin to telling the neighorhood crack dealer that you have a drug problem and are wondering if he thinks you need help. ;) 'Fraid you will not get too many people who think your friends and family are right in their thinking. :)

Best way to deal with wood addiction is to hang around with like minded people who understand the problems dealing with ordinary folk who think heat comes out of a hole in the wall at the touch of a switch.

The most obvious sign of wood collecting disease is when away from any woods, you get confused and disorientated.

It is not a fatal disease.

If it is not possible to find any wood, friends may help by offering free beer, it has been known to alleviate the symptoms :)

Only if I lived closer! I am sure somebody here would willing to help with your condition. The only way to beat this is
COLD TURKEY! So don't burn another stick. Give it away! Yes give it up!

ploughboy,
I feel your pain.
I've had dreams about wood piles. Actually, one was a nightmare. I dreampt my entire wood pile was on fire and I couldn't put it out.
Just the other night I was dreaming about wood again. I've also knocked on more than a few doors searching for wood.
I've even thought about making up a flier to hand out to all the neighbors just in case they're thinking of having some trees taken down.

We just took a small road trip about 2 1/2 hours each way. Being the passenger, I passed the time looking at downed trees and wood piles.

Like I said, I feel your pain.

My wife doesn't know that I became a member here, I feel dirty. You know, covered in sawdust, gas/oil mix, bar and chain oil, hydraulic fluid, tree sap, and sweat. Please don't tell, I can handle it.

Its your family that has the problem. We and the wood are your friends. Don't let them ruin you. You are nothing without your wood and us here at hearth.com. Be strong. Go get some more hardwood!

Backwoods Savage said:
When you get more wood than Zap or Solar has, then you can consider yourself with some big wood piles. They don't start getting big until you are around 20 cord.
hope i can compete come summer

Sounds a little like my forum profile.

I was a wealthy successful businessman until I came across hearth.com. By accident one night while surfing the web I came across this site. I lurked for a few hours and then joined in the posting. Over time I became more and more addicted to reading posts and interacting with the forum members. The next thing you know I bought a wood stove. Then another. Then another. Then a pellet stove. Then came chainsaws, a log splitter and chimney liners and log carriers and wood racks and I became obsessed with gathering firewood. Before long I was spending more and more time on hearth.com and putting up firewood. My business started to suffer as well as my home life. My wife complained that all I wanted to do was hang out with “those wood guysâ€. The kids started staying away from me because I was posting and reading and stopped bathing. They said I was “stinkyâ€. In short order my accountant informed me that all of my employees had quit, the bank account was empty and I would have to file for bankruptcy. It didn’t matter to me all I wanted to know was what the progress of the cat vs. non-cat discussions were leading to. Was or was not EBT a answer for long burns? Were PE stoves really worth extra money over an Englander?

One afternoon I heard the door slam and a car drive off. On the table in the hall was a note from a lawyer telling me my wife had filed for divorce and was taking the kids with her. I cried for about ten minutes and then went to see if anybody had scored any more free wood off of craigslist. Nobody had in a few days and that REALLY made me sad.

So the house has been foreclosed, I drink pretty much around the clock (or at least I will until the pawn shop stops taking my stuff) and hang out on hearth.com 20 hours a day. I get a couple of hours sleep along the way resting my head on the keyboard.

Now Craig has made me a moderator and life is looking up! I have stoves and hearth.com. Who needs all of that other crap in life.

GEEZ Bart, that's the longest post I believe I've ever seen from you! I feel so sorry for you.... I too have been warned by my wife! The neighbors are thinking I'm crazy for my stacks. I take wood off nearly every job, a few pieces at a time. I'm trying hard to avoid bringing wood home but I feel I can deal with summer knowing I have wood for the winter. :blank:

And now the paranoia of withdrawal has hit me full force. I think I saw my neighbor looking jealously at my woodpile yesterday. I never did like him. I'm betting that he has been sneaking splits when I'm at work. Right Bart. We know the answer to that problem, don't we? I'm tendering my notice today.

So if it wasn't bad enough, I actually left a pile of wood on the job site today. The customer said that he had someone to give it to that heated with wood. I have all the wood up for next year but I need the following year...

Status
Not open for further replies.