I want to use my cell phone to turn my stove on when I'm on my way home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abrucerd

Aug 22, 2007
Central MA
When I go away for the weekend, I tend to fill the hopper and let my stove keep the house relatively warm while I'm gone. eventually, the pellets run out and the stove powers down. When i get home, my house is cold... and I don't like that.

I'd rather power the stove down right as I leave and let the house be cold UNTIL I'm on my way home. Ideally, if I could call my stove with my cell phone roughly 3 or 4 hours before I get home and say "Hey stove... make with the heat!", then I would be a happy boy.

So I come to this clever, creative, inventive group to make this happen... any ideas?

Do they make timers for pellet stoves? A timer would kind of work, if I knew roughly when I would be returning. But ideally I'd want a remote starter.

Let's do this!

There are internet ready thermostats that you can control and monitor through the web. If your using a smart then problem solved for $300-$500 ;) (just the models i have seen there might be cheaper ones. ) It would a better scenario for your situation. coming home to a cold house sucks.

abrucerd said:
When I go away for the weekend, I tend to fill the hopper and let my stove keep the house relatively warm while I'm gone. eventually, the pellets run out and the stove powers down. When i get home, my house is cold... and I don't like that.

I'd rather power the stove down right as I leave and let the house be cold UNTIL I'm on my way home. Ideally, if I could call my stove with my cell phone roughly 3 or 4 hours before I get home and say "Hey stove... make with the heat!", then I would be a happy boy.

So I come to this clever, creative, inventive group to make this happen... any ideas?

Do they make timers for pellet stoves? A timer would kind of work, if I knew roughly when I would be returning. But ideally I'd want a remote starter.

Let's do this!

Use the phone to call home and tell someone to turn it on or up.

Eric

Or give your neighbor a house key and call them to turn on your stove... ;)

If you can train your dog to fetch a beer, you should be able to train him to hit the thermostat when the phone rings.

Because you have the Harman Advance, I think your only option is a programmable thermostat. Even that is limited to a few honeywell models. The thermostat is hooked into the room temp mode circuit.

Otherwise the Skytech remotes have features and timers to cover any stove that uses a millivolt stat. Also takes out the human error of remembering to phone home! It will be warm when you get there.

IMHO, $300 to $500 bucks for a cell phone app is crazy, When a cheap programmable stat does the job and remembers to turn it on. Really will you remeber? and do you want the hassle of doing that every day???? I would not! Love my programmable stat!

Some alarm systems can be set up to close a relay contact when a certain condition occurs. The condition can be a command received over the Internet or a code dialed in from any phone. The relay could be wired to turn your stove on. There are safety and electrical isolation issues that would have to be taken into consideration, but nothing that couldn't be handled technically.

It goes without saying that your cheapo mass market alarm system won't have the capability. But it can be added to most standard commercial grade alarm systems. Better home alarm systems use commercial grade equipment.

The advantage of using an existing alarm system is that it would all be accomplished using standard expansion modules. Nothing would have to be jury rigged.

CTU headquarters.. somewhere USA.

"Jack ..we have a cell phone lock..we have a location.."
Jack shouts.. " send in Delta squad 4.. Do not shoot!..We need the stove alive..I will do that later.."

or..Honey..where is the cell phone ?..I cant start my Stove..

or...

The dog ate the phone..and randomly starts and shuts down the
Stove.

Worst case..

look at the cavemen at the top..of the page..
Dang it's cold..

:)

Hello

The Trane Remote Energy Management Thermostat
by Schlage works with Iphone.

Thermostat with Iphone app for that system is reg $298.00 on sale at Amazon for $98.64
http://www.amazon.com/Trane-Remote-Energy-Management-Thermostat/dp/B002BA5VVU

Technical Details

* Add the Trane Remote Energy Management Thermostat to your Schlage LiNK System to remotely monitor and control your thermostat from anywhere with any internet enabled computer and most internet enabled cell phones
* Actively manage the energy use within your home and reduce energy consumption up to 15% with the energy savings schedule
* When paired with the Schlage Bridge, utilize advanced thermostat features through the Schlage LiNK web and mobile interface
* Receive text message or email alerts when adjustments are made at the thermostat
* Remotely enable the energy savings mode for extra savings when on vacation or away from home

Or a Honeywell millivolt programmable Thermostat will turn it on at a set time.

You need a 7 Day Programmable to make it come on only on Sunday afternoon like this one at Home Depot!
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Abrucerd:
There are lots of ways to do this ... although all boil down to adding a set of remotely controlled relay contacts to the thermostat inputs of your stove. You could place these in series with an existing thermostat - so you the TS would shut down the stove when a desired room temperatue is reached.

A remote programmable thermostat is still a set of relay contacts. When the contacts close, the stove sees a command for 'heat' and starts the ignite sequence.

There is a company called 'smart home' and others that sell all kinds of remote devices for this sort of application. Here is a link:

http://www.smarthome.com/_/index.aspx?src=WG1000015&gclid=CM2478HwracCFQ12gwodSUoIDQ

THe more techno-geeky you are, the more fun you can have with this stuff!

Let us know what you find - and what you buy! And - please - don't burn your house down removtely!

Take care

RonB

Status
Not open for further replies.