ice dams

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatty

Jan 1, 2010
north east Mass.
ok ive searched and didnt find what i am looking for .i have ice dams again this year after every snow fall i rake the roof
never had this problem till i addad a second layer of insulation 3 years ago i made sure the eves were not covered with
insulation this house is 100 plus years old has blown in insulation in the walls ive seen pics on here of pink foam between
the joists in the attic is this the easiest fix ?

What kind of insulation is in the attic? If fiberglass it will not stop air flow. A home that's a hundred years old could be balloon framed. If so the cavities can run from bottom to top. Did you airseal the attic before insulating?

no just layed down a second layer of pink fiberglass i made sure not to block the eves
in the pellet mill someone posted pics of pink foam between the roof joists . they looked corrigated
and had some kind of tin foil on it and said it made the attic cool in the summer

Must have some how with the addition of the insulation allowed for the concentration of warm air from your living space to be focused on your roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.