ice wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucketboy

Aug 7, 2009
central ontario
i was out on our beaver pond saturaday (24 inches of ice) and found a 40 foot standing dead pine. cut it up and it burned fantastic. hot. got 6+ hours on a loading. my pond was full of this type of stuff where the beaver flooded it 25 years ago. after seeing how this stuff burned, i went back and drew in 4 face cords to save my hardwood for next year. i know you guys mention that pine is a good shoulder wood but this stuff is as dry as it comes and burns really well. i split some and left some as rounds to extend the burn time. does anyone do this?

I have about 1/3 cord of spruce and I tried burning that the other day. Doesn't last nearly as long as the birch does.

Birch no problem getting 14-16hrs on a load, while the spruce left me with almost a cold stove in 12hrs.

I am home most of the time and I don't mind reloading the stove, so the longest possible burn isn't that important to me. I like pine.

Beaver ponds around here seem to have about 10 inches of ice, but I haven't cored through it to verify. It would be plenty thick for cutting wood.

bucketboy, you did very good and I hope it serves you well.

This reminded me of the time beavers were building dams all along our line, which happens to be a creek. They were running out of popple and to my surprise, one day I found a small red oak that they were working on. It was almost ready to topple over....so I got the saw and quickened the process. Well, I left the branches for the beaver but thanked them for that nice red oak. It burned just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.