ID By Leaf?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacffin

Minister of Fire
I was out back looking at doing some understory clearing and came across this young tree. I don't like to take down stuff indiscriminately and want to let this one grow. I think It will make a nice backdrop. Can any one tell what it is just from the leaves?

Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• DSCN3138 leaf id 1.jpg
    DSCN3138 leaf id 1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN3139 leaf id 2.jpg
    DSCN3139 leaf id 2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 99
+1

striped maple

Striped Maple aka Moosewood. This is not a big maple, but more of an understory tree. I guess it could grow 30 to 40 feet tall and often grows as a thicket with many stems.

You can see it in the background in the left middle of this picture. It has a smooth grain to the bark.

Attachments

• DSCN3137 mulberry.jpg
    DSCN3137 mulberry.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 130
Learned a new one today. We do not have that in Northern Michigan, to the best of my knowledge! Striped Maple. We do not have any Tulip(yellow Poplar either)!

Definitely not tulip tree. If the young bark is striped green and white, then striped maple is right. Another possibility is mountain maple, Acer spicatum.

Make sure it's not Viburnum acerifolia, maple-leaf viburnum, often mistaken for maple.

Learned a new one today. We do not have that in Northern Michigan, to the best of my knowledge! Striped Maple. We do not have any Tulip(yellow Poplar either)!
Never heard of that Maple either. I almost said Red Maple, but the stems aren't red enough. We do have Tulip, though.
images

Doesn't the stripped maple have more pointed tips whereas the tulip popple does not have this?

A_pen_leaf1tn.JPG
images

As already stated, we have neither tree here in MI.

Doesn't the stripped maple have more pointed tips whereas the tulip popple does not have this?
RIght, and different shape as well.

As already stated, we have neither tree here in MI.
Book shows the natural range...appears to be a small corridor of Striped Maple in eastern MI. Tulip/Yellow range is shown covering the southern third of the state??

There may be some in the south of the state but none in our area.

Status
Not open for further replies.