ID please. ? Cherry ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occo370

Jan 23, 2010
Jersey Shore
I came across 2 very large rounds. They are between 3 & 4 foot in diameter Im told it was a dead cherry tree. I am going this week to look at them. I will have to split yleadt in 1/2 to fit on trailer. If it I cherry and a worth while burning wood is it going to be a beAr to split. I understand it's a vauge question but hopefully your input will sway me in making the right choice in getting it or not

That's pretty large for a cherry tree ,if it is cherry it's a nice wood burns well, seasons pretty fast, good heat, and not bad to split. FYI I have put many rounds that size on the trailer just by rolling them and flipping them up onto the trailer .

That would be a big cherry tree. Should be easy to tell from the bark and the color of the wood though.

The bark looks almost like pine. And the tree is a dark redish/brown inside

A photo would help. Does sound like cherry. Lots of cherry trees here in Ocean county,,,cant think of another species it could be.

Sounds like chery. It splits good and burns great. Seasons faster than a lot of wood too. It if is cherry, bet all you can.

thanks sounds like it is Cherry... i will be pickiing it up tommorrow morning once i get it, i will attempt to post some photos they are failry large pieces... thanks for the help again guys.

Cherry, rough bark and red center. Choke and Black

Attachments

• IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 296
ok... picked up one of the rounds... this is a 4x6 trailer.. got it up brought it home.. split it into 4 before work today. it split easier than i thought it would using two wedges. there was some rot or ant damage inside. i will split and salvage what i can but won't pickup the other ( larger ) piece...

any ideas on type of wood? cedar?? cherry??

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    373.6 KB · Views: 244
Looks like a nice chunk of old Cherry to me. I would grab the other pieces, split it and burn it. Use the punky stuff in your firepit. Ants seems to love Cherry in our area.

I agree with the cherry. It does look somewhat punky. Take the less punky stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.