ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• id11.jpg
    id11.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 438
  • id22.jpg
    id22.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 420
  • id33.jpg
    id33.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 405
  • id44.jpg
    id44.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 436
Beech is my vote, great stuff

I thought it was red oak but it ddn't smell like red oak.
Oak confuses me

That bark is not very oak looking to me I would say beech or cherry , light a piece up and you will be able to confirm or eliminate cherry.

If it was an imature Red Oak it would have shiney smooth bar too. It is dense. I've gone through a bit of red oak this season that was seasoned 3 years and still had that red oak smell but this does not.

I'm really enjoying the tree ID threads! This is dangerous with my OCD though as I'll be out at the wood pile putting all species together and re-stacking lol

That's definately red oak. Probably a young tree or just a limb from a big one. The "smell" your probly thinkin of could be from the black oak we have around here. Stuff stinks!!

Here's some red oak i split up last year. This was all limbs from a good sized tree. Notice the smooth bark?
ForSale003.jpg

I vote for red oak also. Even the big old monsters have smooth bark on the limbs.

Is firewood theft big in your area, that you have to hire " security" ?

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge the 2nd picture, than "magnify" it with your computer's zoom level, and look at the grain and edges of the bark on the split side-I'd be very suprised if it isn't Oak when looking at that.

PA. Woodsman said:
Click on the thumbnail to enlarge the 2nd picture, than "magnify" it with your computer's zoom level, and look at the grain and edges of the bark on the split side-I'd be very suprised if it isn't Oak when looking at that.

I see beech, blue beech. I have a cord of beech and 2 cords of red oak in the same pile that is blue beech.imho

smokinjay said:
PA. Woodsman said:
I see beech, blue beech. I have a cord of beech and 2 cords of red oak in the same pile that is blue beech.imho

Does that have the Oak-like grain on the ends of the split side like the 2nd picture? I looked up Blue-beech in my National Audubon Field Guide and under Blue-beech it said that the real name for it is American Hornbeam, and the picture of that is more of a light green coloring almost like Sycamore?

PA. Woodsman said:
smokinjay said:
PA. Woodsman said:

Does that have the Oak-like grain on the ends of the split side like the 2nd picture? I looked up Blue-beech in my National Audubon Field Guide and under Blue-beech it said that the real name for it is American Hornbeam, and the picture of that is more of a light green coloring almost like Sycamore?

not even close the grain in blue beech is very close with some what of a birds eye in the grain the bark has a blue tint to it doesnt get real big. Biggest I have cut was 32in. thought it was 40+ by the weight very hard wood and season quick for hard wood. Here is a fresh red oak and I think I can find one of the blue beech. 2nd pic blue beech

Attachments

• stance.jpg
    stance.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 247
  • beech.jpg
    beech.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 259
  • beech2.jpg
    beech2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 224
smokinjay said:
PA. Woodsman said:
smokinjay said:
PA. Woodsman said:
not even close the grain in blue beech is very close with some what of a birds eye in the grain the bark has a blue tint to it doesnt get real big. Biggest I have cut was 32in. very hard wood and season quick for hard wood. Here is a fresh red oak and I think I can find one of the blue beech. 2nd pic blue beech

Thanks for the pictures, Jay-you pose a strong argument there with those pictures. Maybe we'll find out for sure one day what it is; either one is good fuelwood, but like you said the Beech seasons much faster. Good job...

PA. Woodsman said:
smokinjay said:
PA. Woodsman said:
smokinjay said:
PA. Woodsman said:
not even close the grain in blue beech is very close with some what of a birds eye in the grain the bark has a blue tint to it doesnt get real big. Biggest I have cut was 32in. very hard wood and season quick for hard wood. Here is a fresh red oak and I think I can find one of the blue beech. 2nd pic blue beech

Thanks for the pictures, Jay-you pose a strong argument there with those pictures. Maybe we'll find out for sure one day what it is; either one is good fuelwood, but like you said the Beech seasons much faster. Good job...

either one is of the very best to have.

PA. Woodsman said:

You are correct IMO.

Open pores, visible medullary rays. Beech has neither. Looks 100% like oak to me, maybe white oak from the color and from the fact that the early wood pores are in a narrow band and late wood pores aren't visible, at least in the photo.

Looks like beech, but I'm a rookie at this.

zap

Young Red Oak will fool ya, it has smooth bark.
I just torched a bunch of it last month, should have snapped a couple pictures.....

I will bet all the wood on my lot, that what you have there is REDOAK

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
Young Red Oak will fool ya, it has smooth bark.
I just torched a bunch of it last month, should have snapped a couple pictures.....

I will bet all the wood on my lot, that what you have there is REDOAK

WoodButcher

sure looks like beech to me,but have never cut any red oak that doesnt have a red tint to it .(But I am not the best ID person)

The bark looks like it could be Pin Oak, and the wood does too. Branches of Pin Oak often have really smooth bark for an oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.