ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave7965

Jan 9, 2010
Rhode Island
can anyone help me identify this wood ? thanks...

Attachments

• 0302001643.jpg
    0302001643.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 505
The Wood Dog said:
can anyone help me identify this wood ? thanks...

Could be locust.. Need pic of wood on other side..

Ray

Looks like ash ... how's it split ?

Redburn said:
Looks like ash ... how's it split ?

I think you are correct the grain tells the story.. Locust is more yellow...

Ray

Is it just me or does it seem like the majority of tree or wood ID posts on here are Ash??? or at least thats what everyone guesses.

Flint, that is because of the emerald ash borer taking its toll on all the white ash. The trees are dead or dieing so a lot of it is now being cut.

Around here there are always a few who cut extra wood to try to sell some during winter months (they cut it in the fall too!). Last year and especially this year the amount of wood sellers in this area have about quadrupled and about 98% of them are selling white ash. On the other hand, it appears there are not many who are selling much either...

oh ok, that makes sense. I've heard about the ash borer. That really really sucks!

all of our hemlock trees are about all dead around here because of the whooly adelgid. I guess that ash trees are next.

I'm sick of these pests killing all of our trees!

Me too. North of us the oaks are getting hit bad. Out east some maples are getting hit bad. Out west are the pines. Will we have any forest left in another 50 years?

Backwoods Savage said:
Flint, that is because of the emerald ash borer taking its toll on all the white ash.

Yet another foul import from Asia. Seems that as long as our appetite for cheap Asian goods goes on unabated, so will the arrival of destructive pests that come along for the ride.

yeah, I think they have finally come up with an american chestnut hybrid that is something like 15/16 american chestnut and 1/16 chinese chestnut - and that 1/16 has the resistance gene to the chestnut blight - so maybe in another 100 or so years, we will have american chestnuts back in the appalachian forests - good thing since all the other trees are dying off now - there will be room for them.

Backwoods Savage said:
Me too. North of us the oaks are getting hit bad. Out east some maples are getting hit bad. Out west are the pines. Will we have any forest left in another 50 years?

Elm trees are dieing all over the place out here...

Flint, Such is life. Most of what has ever existed on the planet is now extinct. We will be someday too. However we are late comers.

I was reading up on the Elm trees. The Princeton Elm is DED resistant but it is not a true American Elm. Some guy cultured what he calls the Valley Forge Elm which is a true decedent of the American Elm and it's been found to be highly resistant to DED. I look forward to our cities to start to plant this tree again so it can once again take it's place as Americas tree. They grow about 5' a year and top out at 110'. That kind of shade should take care of global warming. It is true that there's a Chestnut that's been developed that is resistant to the Chestnut Blight. It's hard to believe that the Chestnut at one time was nearly 50% of all the trees in America. As for the Emerald Ash Boar - what a shame. I have never seen anything that kills so fast and complete. No Ash tree will survive this bug on it's own. All the White, Green, Blue, Black and the Marshall Ash are dead. The Mountain Ash hasn't been effected, although I don't think it's a true Ash anyway. Firewood has never been so easy to get. Dead Ash are everywhere. I figure once this bug has killed them all we should be able to replant seeds and they'll grow again. By then the bug should be dead anyway since it's food source will have been destroyed. Time will tell but it won't be in my lifetime. I feel for you all down south with the Hemlock being attached. My cousin is part of the team studying what's going on and he says there's not much hope. It'll be sad because the Hemlock is what gives shade to all those nice mountian streams full of Trout. Once the Hemlock is dead the Trout will disappear. Wonder what will be next?

lukem said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Elm trees are dieing all over the place out here...

We usually cut a pastel of elm every year too. We simply wait until the bark has all fallen off before cutting. The tops are ready to burn then and the wood is much, much easier to split. Most times you can split it with a maul rather than with the hydraulics.

Status
Not open for further replies.