ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Thanks guys! Has a shine to it and is smooth on the splits.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 466
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 461
hareball said:
Thanks guys! Has a shine to it and is smooth on the splits.

looks like silver maple to me.

silver maple IMO. I just finished a few large logs of the stuff yesterday

I was going to say some kind of conifer, that I just cut up after the storm here. Maybe I am just re-living my nightmare.

Split and stacked it will be ready for the next heating season.

gzecc said:
Split and stacked it will be ready for the next heating season.

+1 hemlock or silver will be ready by fall..

I couldn't put a name to it until I saw LEE post Hemlock. I think he is right. The bark sure doesn't look like any Silver Maple I have seen.

The wood on that split does look like hemlock - although the bark looks more like some kind of pine. I've got a ton of hemlocks in my back yard and the bark isn't as flaky looking as that . I don't think the wood looks like maple. I'm guessing that its some kind of conifer, possibly hemlock

tell you what - take that half of a split with the knot in it and try to split it. if its hemlock, you will NOT split though that knot - the whole rest of the split will break off cross grain first. oak knots are like butter compared to hemlock knots.

Looks a bit like hemlock although I'd expect more small branch knots.

few more pics

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 194
Wood Duck said:
I couldn't put a name to it until I saw LEE post Hemlock. I think he is right. The bark sure doesn't look like any Silver Maple I have seen.

I agree while the wood looks like silver maple I have cut tons of it and never seen bark like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.