ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
Thought it was oak. Don't think it is now that I saw these leaves.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 422
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 377
Can you provide a better picture of the leaves. I want to see if they are toothed or not.

DEFINITELY not oak.

The bark looks like oak, but only Shingle Oak (Quercus imbricaria) has untoothed leaves and would occur in Michigan. I don't know what the bark of Shingle Oak is supposed to look like. I have never seen one. The leaves look a lot like Black Gun (Nyssa sylvatica) but the bark doesn't look right. That is about all the guesses I have. It has alternate, simple leaves, judging from the pictures.

Just a WAG !
It looks a lot like Willow Oak . It grows reasonably well here in Pa ,but Michigan may be too far north .

Lots of willow oak like that around me.

No one else thinks this is Cherry? Leaves may not be toothed, but I bet they are finely serrated.

looks like black cherry to me.

Split it open. Lets see the grain!

ansehnlich1 said:
bitternut or shellbark hickory
I don't think the leaves are compound...

I'm thinking this could possibly be an ornamental tree. Maybe a fruit tree? I'm seeing a few characteristics of apple in it. I'm not very familiar with pear/peach/etc to say one way or the other on those, other than the leaves look like they could be peach from what I remember of peach leaves.

Can you give us an estimate of how big the tree was?

Are the leaves simple or compound? Serrated or smooth margin?

The more blanks you can fill in the better.

Im inclined to say fruit tree , also. Cherry would be my bet. Nice burn.

I'm certain it's not cherry. I'm pretty confident that it's shingle oak after the suggestion, and finding some pics online. It's crazy, it smells like red oak, bark looks like oak, but those leaves really threw me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.