ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Scrounger dropped some wood today. He thinks locust.
Thanks guys!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 380
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 376
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 366
looks like peach.

Hmmm... Bark resembles smaller Honey Locust.Wood is reddish-pink when fresh also.

Thistle said:
Hmmm... Bark resembles smaller Honey Locust.Wood is reddish-pink when fresh also.

silver maple! lol darn sure not bl

Silver Maple :lol: Purdy stuff though,1 or 2 of those larger pieces could be a nice desk lamp base or larger candle stick.... ;-)

Thistle said:
Silver Maple :lol:

Funny thing is people mill it and try and sell products make out of it for big money....

It does make nice large salad or 'popcorn' bowls.Easy to turn green,rough it out,seal & let sit a few months then finish the walls down to 1/4" or so thick when dry,sand to 220/400 grit & oil.

Thistle said:
It does make nice large salad or 'popcorn' bowls.Easy to turn green,rough it out,seal & let sit a few months then finish the walls down to 1/4" or so thick when dry,sand to 220/400 grit & oil.
What size blocks?

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
What size blocks?

For big 'serving' bowls, its nice to have them 3" to 4" thick,12" to 15" diameter.Individual bowls 2 -2 1/2" thick,6-7" diameter.I have one on TV stand/bookcase right now thats 3 x 11 1/2.

some type of Cherry

Make that 2 for cherry. Sure looks like it.. platy bark on the bigger pieces, smooth greyish color on the branches, and darker colored centers.

My first thought was chinese/hybrid elm? but cherry sounds good too, especially the crotch in the upper right of the top pic.

Looks just like some cherry I have. Rough bark on the bigger stuff and smooth on the smaller. Also noticed the horizontal marks on bark exactly the same as the stuff I have.

Sure looks like cherry to me.

Something about the wood makes me think Honey Locust. Does Black Cherry have such a wide sapwood? Maybe the guy who dropped it off knew what he was talking about.

Sure as heck looks like Cherry to me - or some other fruit tree in the genus Prunus

ends have a pinkish color but once split looks more orange.

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 222
  • t.jpg
    t.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 214
[quote author="hareball" date="1300230257"]ends have a pinkish color but once split looks more orange.[/quote

apple or peach.

Fairly coarse slightly wavy grain,still going with Honey Locust

Thistle said:

Where are the thorns?? Honey locust has a lot of them, I see none in these photos. If it is not cherry then it could be a fruit tree, but 25 years of buying timber and making about 60 million board ft. of lumber tells me CHERRY.

nrford said:
Thistle said:

Where are the thorns?? Honey locust has a lot of them, I see none in these photos. If it is not cherry then it could be a fruit tree, but 25 years of buying timber and making about 60 million board ft. of lumber tells me CHERRY.

Not all Honey Locust has thorns,10% or so is thornless even in the wild.But it does look more like Cherry of some kind more that I study it.If not Black Cherry,some cultivated variety.

Honey locust doesn't have those conspicuous lenticels on the park like cherry and related species do.

FLINT said:
Honey locust doesn't have those conspicuous lenticels on the park like cherry and related species do.

It sure does. Every honey locust I've seen had them. They do get less conspicuous as the tree ages, but when young, they look exactly like those in the photo.

Honestly, I just don't know what this is. It's either honey locust or cherry. From the photos provided, I'm split.

I think the bark plates look much more like HL than cherry. Look at the picture, cherry bark is in small plates of bark, not very long, while HL is more like longer strips of bark, similar to that shown here.

ETA, upon further examination everything about this screams to me honey locusts while only a few things subtly whisper to me cherry. I have to say this is definitely honey locust. Based upon the slightly wavy grain in the split, the long strips of bark vs. short plates of bark, the appearance of the new bark in the fracture areas between strips, and the color of the heartwood/sapwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.