ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironworker

Burning Hunk
Dec 3, 2011
Upstate NY
Number 1
005-9.jpg

Number 2
004-11.jpg

NOt too sure about pic #1 , but I can bet it all that pic#2 is BEECH great firewood.

Pic # 1 looks like Silver Maple, as flaky as that bark is...

#1 Soft Maple
#2 Beech

Silver and beech.

1 - shagbark?
2 - big tooth aspen?

basswidow said:
1 - shagbark?
2 - big tooth aspen?

I think Shagbark would have more contrast between a light sapwood and darker heartwood, and I never see large Bigtooth Apsen with smooth bark like that. I'll go with Silver Maple and Beech.

Pic 1--Thin, darker sapwood looks like some White Oak I cut today. Bark looks close, but...
Was it dead standing or live, storm-damage etc? How heavy is it? Have you got a good closeup of the end grain on a medium round...maybe we could see medullary rays?

That first pic looks exactly like some shagbark I cut earlier this year. Pretty certain its that as long as that pic is fresh cut.

WoodPyro said:
That first pic looks exactly like some shagbark I cut earlier this year. Pretty certain its that as long as that pic is fresh cut.
Hickory has a very dark heartwood and white sap wood. That's silver maple 4 sure.

I will defer to the experts here but the heartwood on the hickory I had was that lighter color, I don't know if shagbark varies compared to the other hickories, I know I confirmed my tree with leaf ID also. I think that tree was just fresh and wet so maybe had a lighter color.

i would have guessed shag hickory on #1 but im no expert. #2 beech i burn a lot of that. edit- now that i look closer all the shaggys ive seen are alot more "shaggy" than that one.

1 -- Maple of some sort . . . maybe red?

2-- Beech . . . 95% positive

Jags said:
inevitabLEE said:
smokinjay said:
Silver and beech.
We have a winner!

Double down on it.

Welcome Aboard! You'll notice I only guess on the easy ones. This one's so easy there's no guessing involved ;-)

Since I'm not a gambler, I don't know how to trump Jags.

Status
Not open for further replies.