ID please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Hi everyone! I'm back in action after the torn up shoulder. Feels good to be back to splitting. Ordered 5 cords of rounds. Majority was oak, rest is sugar maple and what I think is sweet gum. There is one I'm not sure about. It splits easy and has a nice odor that reminds me of my dentists office lol... Will try to hot link a photo, if not maybe the URL will do the trick, thanks :)

http://m1260.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/hareball1/1327253601.jpg.html?o=1&newest=1

http://m1260.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/hareball1/1327253600.jpg.html?o=2&newest=1

http://m1260.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/hareball1/1327253598.jpg.html?o=3&newest=1

Nice Pile of wood, so where do you park your vehicles. :)

The pictures of the inner wood looks to be Walnut, but something about the bark and the rows of wood that is off.

^agreed. Looks like sasafrass to me as well . Love the smell of that stuff!

Thanks guys! It's tough to season wood on this tight little lot. I just try to keep the stacks neat since there is a home in every direction.
I've had black walnut before and it was my first thought when I busted open the first round but then that awesome smell hit me. Never had sassafras. Can't wait to season it and give it a try!!

Sweat gum is really hard to split. I know how tight feels. I have the same problem but do OK.

Attachments

• 2012 White Oak Splitting 2.jpg
    2012 White Oak Splitting 2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 436
  • Stacks.jpg
    Stacks.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 452
  • Stacks 2.jpg
    Stacks 2.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 431
  • White Oak splits 2012.jpg
    White Oak splits 2012.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 437
tfdchief said:
Sweat gum is really hard to split. I know how tight feels. I have the same problem but do OK.

Wow chief those are great looking stacks of wood ! It's almost like you have a wood garden in your yard ( that's a compliment )

Pete

Pete1983 said:
tfdchief said:

Wow chief those are great looking stacks of wood ! It's almost like you have a wood garden in your yard ( that's a compliment )

Pete
Thanks Pete. My wife likes wood heat but she likes it neat. Well, I will come clean......so do I ;-P When you don't have much room, you really don't have much choice, and living in town, I don't want the neighbors upset.

Great work Steve!! Nice to see another urban stacker!!
I tried the sweet gum with my maul, then the fiskars, then the 5 ton splitter. I need dynamite!

hareball said:
Great work Steve!! Nice to see another urban stacker!!
I tried the sweet gum with my maul, then the fiskars, then the 5 ton splitter. I need dynamite!
Thanks hareball. I love the "urban stacker".....that's a new one I am going to add to my MO. ;-P That Sweat Gum is some bad stuff. You will need hydraulics!

Hareball, I'm happy that your shoulder is doing much better. Now take it easy!

Thanks Dennis!! I had taken my little splitter back for repair and they wanted $1 more than it was when it was new. Luckily my father can fix almost anything and was able to bend the ram back in shape so no shoulders were harmed :) in fact the maul only made an appearance on the mean sweet gum lol!!

Status
Not open for further replies.