Id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Id?

Attachments

• id.jpg
    id.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 229
  • id 2.jpg
    id 2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 226
Growth rings on the end remind me of Black Locust. But the stuff I split last week was a little more "highlighter yellow" on the inside. Of course I am sure Black Locust here looks a little different than Black Locust there.

Pagey said:
Growth rings on the end remind me of Black Locust. But the stuff I split last week was a little more "highlighter yellow" on the inside. Of course I am sure Black Locust here looks a little different than Black Locust there.

And we have a winner! Yes, it's Black Locust.

Pagey said:

I say BL also. Its true,the same species of wood can vary a bit in color when growing in different locations.Different soils,sunlight,amount of precipitation in a year etc.All are factors which determine the end result.

Wood looks like BL to me also, bark is a little off but that varies by age/location etc.

Thistle said:
Pagey said:

I say BL also. Its true,the same species of wood can vary a bit in color when growing in different locations.Different soils,sunlight,amount of precipitation in a year etc.All are factors which determine the end result.

Ok its has been split for a week now lost a little of the flare if you will.
Knew it was locust didn't know it was black locust.

One more vote for Black Locust. Furrowed bark and yellowish wood both match the Black Locust around here.

rdust said:
Wood looks like BL to me also, bark is a little off but that varies by age/location etc.

I wouldn't have thought BL because of the bark looks way different to me also. You'll know if its honey locust or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.