id ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbesia

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2009
central CT
Calling all experts. Any ideas, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1366.jpg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 416
Black Locust, for sure.

Not birch or spruce
Looks like locusts.

+1.... Wish I could get my hands on some. Most folks here know what it is, so it's hard to scrounge .

Thanks a lot, I guess I did get a Christmas present after all

Yep, locust. That thick bark and characteristic yellow color gave it away.

If you split it before it dries much, the bark will stay attached. If you wait on splitting the rounds, you'll see the bark coming off. Few months is all it takes here. You might prefer either to happen- lots of fuel value (and ash) in the bark, bark seals in moisture pretty well.

Splinters are NASTY, seem to be made of tool steel. Easily penetrate cheap gloves. Once through the skin, they're well camouflaged; you find them by feel.

Properly dried a couple of years, it burns great, especially with a bit of ash or sugar maple mixed in to maintain visible flames.

Do you need one more person to say Black Locust?

hmmm. if i were to bet,i'd say black locust! ha

kinda looks like the black walnut on my property
any walnuts or husks around it??

ironpony said:

The bark would look similar but Black Walnut would have a very dark heartwood and a lighter sapwood around the edges under the bark. This is Black Locust.

Wood Duck said:
ironpony said:

The bark would look similar but Black Walnut would have a very dark heartwood and a lighter sapwood around the edges under the bark. This is Black Locust.

And the wood is brown or black...This is yellow only 3 woods I know to be yellow.

yes the walnut that was blown down is dark in the center
learn something new everyday here

Black Locust!

Status
Not open for further replies.