Ideas please/wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locust Post

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast Ohio
I only have a small amount of this from a downed tree that I cut some off the butt end of. It is partially dry and has some pretty good weight to it. It also has the good solid sound when you bang a few pieces together like you get with a good hard piece of dry locust or other hardwood.

Attachments

• firewood id 001.jpg
    firewood id 001.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 125
  • firewood id 002.jpg
    firewood id 002.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 163
  • firewood id 003.jpg
    firewood id 003.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 131
Nice!
Save it for the frigid nights. Assuming there are some next winter.

yup..hop hornbeam or common name is ironwood. you can tell by the narrow strips of flaky bark and also the darker line through the heartwood. hornbeam is super high btu's and seasons in a year. nice score!

Reactions: ScotO
Good score. Get some more if you can! Reminds me of the lilac I got at a job last summer. A whole heaping truckload of old lilac, some.of the butt rounds were on almost 12" diameter!

Only a small amount. Then I'd save that for the coldest winter night.

I had wondered if it may be something like this because I knew it was hard. The chain threw a few sparks when I was cutting. I have enough for about a weeks worth of overnight burns so I will set it aside for a good cold snap and see how she flies. Don't know that I have ever burnt any of this it will be interesting to see how it lines up against my locust. The sweeps BTU charts show it higher but so is some of the oak but I'll take locust over oak as the coals just seem to hang together better. No I'm not a wood snob...well maybe just a smidge LOL

Reactions: ScotO
Like I said I used to pitch lilac out at the compost site. That was until I saw how good it was to burn! If I could find enough of it, I may replace some of my locust with it. That's how good it burns..........OK, I lied. I ain't gettin rid of ANY of my locust! NEVER!!!

Reactions: Locust Post
Ironwood is my favorite. Dries fast and burns great. Now, I haven't burned any locust and very little oak so it's hard to compare.

Watch for projectile embers when burning the ironwood.

Left home for the weekend filled the stove 4 6" rounds of ironwood.

I know I will have plenty of coals Sunday evening,to start burning again.

Left home for the weekend filled the stove 4 6" rounds of ironwood.

I know I will have plenty of coals Sunday evening,to start burning again.

You guys are making me want winter to get here again so I can try out this ironwood. NOT I'm ready to get the pool open,grill some steaks and of course set out by the firepit and burn some more wood.

Throw a slice into the water. If it sinks, it's a witch (or ironwood). Burn it!

Status
Not open for further replies.