Identify Wood Please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
Got quite a few stacks of this that have been cut and stacked, but not split. Been running low on wood so went and got/split a few. Wondered what it was so.
IMG_20110206_151831.png

IMG_20110206_151824.png

Total guess. The thick bark looks like ash.

That dark and in Indiana I would Say Walnut!

Locust.

The wood lookd like some type of red oak. The bark looks like Chestnut Oak (Rock Oak) which is more like white oak. Maybe it is one of the less common red oaks and I am unfamiliar iwth the look of the bark, or maybe your Red oaks have unusual bark.

Wood Duck said:
The wood lookd like some type of red oak. The bark looks like Chestnut Oak (Rock Oak) which is more like white oak. Maybe it is one of the less common red oaks and I am unfamiliar iwth the look of the bark, or maybe your Red oaks have unusual bark.

lol square peg round hole. Maybe the crazy coffee tree he is southern Indiana.

I'm leaning towrad Wood Duck's suggestion of Chestnut Oak. If it is Chestnut Oak, you have some great firewood- really puts out the heat.

I sure hope you're right with the Chestnut Oak. We've got quite a few of those down around here. They split super easy and appear to be dry (until burned). I've got some inside the basement on a wood rack trying to dry, but if it's really good wood, I'll be waiting till next year just to be sure it's good.

Alright, after looking, it looks like chestnut oak but it sure looked like BL at first. Bark had me thinkin y'all were silly!

CodyWayne718 said:
Alright, after looking, it looks like chestnut oak but it sure looked like BL at first. Bark had me thinkin y'all were silly!

I am still thinking that! lol If its Oak I darn sure learn a new one today.

I think that is definitely chestnut oak - and so is the tree behind your stack. Chestnut oak is the most common trees on the dryer ridges around here, and I cut plenty of it for firewood. Its good wood - a species of white oak.

I checked a range map and chestnut oak does occur in southern indiana, but not as far north as Indianapolis, which is why Jay probably isn't familiar with it.

FLINT said:
I think that is definitely chestnut oak - and so is the tree behind your stack. Chestnut oak is the most common trees on the dryer ridges around here, and I cut plenty of it for firewood. Its good wood - a species of white oak.

I checked a range map and chestnut oak does occur in southern indiana, but not as far north as Indianapolis, which is why Jay probably isn't familiar with it.

If the tree behind the stack is any indication, that is the same species as the wood I'm harvesting. I believe I can even get some of the 'dead' leaves. I think they're still on the fallen tree.

Adios Pantalones said:
If that's fresh split, I would not guess black locust, which is a paler color

The wood has been stacked in those rounds for a few months (6-8) and that split was about 10 seconds old.

FLINT said:

This very well could be the case Southern Indiana can be 5 hour drive from me.

CHESTNUT OAK

Black Locust. What is the relative density? If very high- high, definitely BL.

CTYank said:
Black Locust. What is the relative density? If very high- high, definitely BL.

I don't feel like it's extremely dense - it almost looks a little fibrous. Hard to explain, does that make any sense?

I am, however, a wood rookie.

Approx. weights at 15% moisture content

Osage Orange (hedge) 55-62 lbs per cubic foot
Shagbark & other Hickories 50-55
Ironwood (Eastern Hophornbeam & American Hornbeam (Musclewood) 50
Black Locust - 48-52
Apple 48
White Oak/Bur Oak 47
Honey Locust 45-47
Sugar Maple 45
Beech 45
Red/Black Oak 41-43