Identifying log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Some of you may be familiar with my recent aquistion of a log splitter. Its an old Ramsplitter. I am going to try and rent it out.
It has had a hard life and no longer has any identifying markings. Any suggestions on ways to identify it in case of a theft.
I don't weld, so thats out.

Attachments

• upright splitter.jpg
    upright splitter.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 423
With a hammer and a set of number/letter punches, or even just a cold chisel, you could mark the steel someplace (or places) with some "runes" that spell or mean something unique to you...take a nice clearly focused close-up pic of that for your records, and there you have it. That should be proof positive that it's yours. Just don't use your address, SSN, or credit card number. Rick

fossil said:
With a hammer and a set of number/letter punches, or even just a cold chisel, you could mark the steel someplace (or places) with some "runes" that spell or mean something unique to you...take a nice clearly focused close-up pic of that for your records, and there you have it. That should be proof positive that it's yours. Just don't use your address, SSN, or credit card number. Rick

+1 on Rick's suggestions.

Also record the model/ser #'s for the engine & pump.

I'll prolly catch a raft of chit for this one, but I wouldn't worry about that thing getting stolen.

First, get the welder out (or find someone to do for you) and weld your information on the side of the I beam. Then paint it your own unique color, something that really sticks out in a crowd. If you plan on renting it out I strongly suggest you learn how to weld. You WILL need to do it, you have no idea what people do to rental equipment. Trust me on this, I do it for a living!!

Lojack.....sorry couldn't help myself.
I'd punch it in a very inconspicuous spot.

Def wanna have the "renter" sign a liability release form.
And renters, won't take care of it like the owner would.
Security deposit and copy of the renter's recent driver's license or photo ID would be a good thing to have.

I use a rental splitter sometimes and have noticed the make a weld line down the side and paint it so it is hidden unless you can feel it. The other thing I noticed was a serial etched in the side of the motor frame. Lastly they have a bright orange pull cord for starting it. When you pick it up you sign a waiver stating if you steel it you buy it. If someone nabs it out of your yard and you get a police report your off the hook for the splitter.

Pete

Got Tired of looking at my name! said:
I use a rental splitter sometimes and have noticed the make a weld line down the side and paint it so it is hidden unless you can feel it. The other thing I noticed was a serial etched in the side of the motor frame. Lastly they have a bright orange pull cord for starting it. When you pick it up you sign a waiver stating if you steel it you buy it. If someone nabs it out of your yard and you get a police report your off the hook for the splitter.

Pete

It looks good on paper, but most people that rent can't afford to buy one. Unless you have insurance (most small rental companies don't) the only thing a Police report is good for is hanging on the wall. There are a LOT of scum bags out there that just want to see how bad they can rip you off. We had one that would rent a stump grinder, the first thing he would do is cut the hour meter wires so we could not tell how many hours he used it.

richg said:
I'll prolly catch a raft of chit for this one, but I wouldn't worry about that thing getting stolen.
Thats one of the reasons, I will rent it. I think its kind of identifyable and driven hard and put away wet. I paid $300 for it. spent a day getting it to work. Now it needs a new seal in the cylinder. Its also extreamly heavy to move around for one person (another theft deterent).

weld or grind a name into the beam and engine f
a coat of hot pink paint would probably make it undesirable, but that might apply to renting as well as stealing .....

billb3 said:
weld or grind a name into the beam and engine f
a coat of hot pink paint would probably make it undesirable, but that might apply to renting as well as stealing .....

Hehheh . . . my sister had a brand new sled and her husband's friends would come over and when they went riding with him would ask to borrow her snowmobile. Well she got tired of them always taking it and racking up the miles instead of riding their spare, beat up sled so she had her husband put on these hot pink stripes and a few flower decals . . . and now apparently her husband's friends always opt to ride the older sled.

Status
Not open for further replies.