Identifying Wood (PICS ATTACHED)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blowell

Sep 24, 2010
N. Eastern MA
Hi Everyone:

Several different species of trees were brought down on my property last year. Can anyone identify the type of wood in the picks? I live in Eastern Mass. I think it may be hickory, but not sure? I don't think it is white oak.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMAG0078 COMP.jpg
    IMAG0078 COMP.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 361
one more

Attachments

• IMAG0076 COMP.jpg
    IMAG0076 COMP.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 358
My guess is pignut

Not seeing Pignut, heartwood seems too dark, not very familiar with Walnut...

Attachments

• hickory.jpg
    hickory.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 253
  • walnut.jpg
    walnut.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 250
I gotta go with hickory (pignut, specifically). That is way more white than I ever see coming from the Black Walnut around these parts.

Take a splinter and burn it with a match. Does it smell like BBQ or a wet dog. %-P

Thanks Jay - you proved my point before I...err...posted it.

Does it smell like BBQ or a wet dog.

Interesting you should ask - it actually smells horse-like.

At least I know now it is some kind of hickory - seems to be the consensus.

Thank you all kindly for your responses.

Thanks for the pics smokinjay. Based on your pics and the size of the dark center, mine looks to be more like the pignut.

blowell said:
Interesting you should ask - it actually smells horse-like.

In the raw it can, that is why I recommend a match and smell the smoke from it.

Sometimes I even try to convince people to taste it - just to see if it works. :lol:

Here's a pic of a Pignut round I just split. The heart wood is not very dark on this particular piece, and it has more of the "smoothbark" look. The second pic is a Pignut with two trunks that's on the edge of our yard. One trunk shows more deeply furrowed bark, as in the poster's pic, but the other trunk has the "smoothbark" appearance.
Jay's Walnut pic has almost no sap wood, but I remember a recent thread where the consensus was Walnut, but the sap wood was huge.
This wood is funny stuff. Just when you think you've got an ID pinned down, it tosses you a curve ball.
So my conclusion is, it could be anything. :lol:
When I ignited a sliver of the Pignut, it smelled like burning wood. I tasted it, but was immediately distracted by the slivers in my tongue. :lol:
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/001-6.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/002-5.jpg

blowell said:
Several different species of trees were brought down on my property last year. I think it may be hickory, but not sure? I don't think it is white oak.
Was this tree growing in a wet, slow-draining area?
Is the piece of wood in your pics from low on the trunk? Have you got a pic of a medium-sized branch piece?
Hard to tell from the pics, but is the end grain showing medullary rays (lines radiating out from the center, perpendicular to the growth rings?)

Was this tree growing in a wet, slow-draining area?
Is the piece of wood in your pics from low on the trunk? Have you got a pic of a medium-sized branch piece?
Hard to tell from the pics, but is the end grain showing medullary rays?

It was taken down right about 100 ft from certified wetlands. The tree was small compared to the red oaks we took down - the pieces you see in the pics were lower down - about as big as the tree was. I don't have the branches - most of them were removed - they were pretty small relatively. As for medullary rays (had to look that phrase up), I didn't see what Wikipedia seems to be describing.

blowell said:
It was taken down right about 100 ft from certified wetlands. The tree was small compared to the red oaks we took down - the pieces you see in the pics were lower down - about as big as the tree was.
Pin Oaks like water. I'd think you'd be able to see the rays, though. Pin Oaks can have a lot of branches coming straight out or drooping slightly, if they are growing in an open area where they don't have to compete for light.

Status
Not open for further replies.