If a tree is felled in the neighborhood, will the wife hear it?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrown

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2008
SE, Michigan
Just another normal day, unlike no other. Get in the car, start er up, back outta the drive and make my way down the street around the corner, wave at the neighbors walking their dog, see a fresh pile of woodchips, try not to hit the squirrel that just shot out into the road...WAIT!!!! WAS THAT A PILE OF WOODCHIPS??!!...as the brakes slam on and throwing the transmission into reverse. Why YES... IT IS...HEY! Joe use to have a huge birch tree there just the other day?? "WTH?" I say to myself as I get whiplash from looking all around for the corpse and possibly a beautiful score of wood....NOTHING! :gulp:

....Flash forward to later that evening..
As the wife and I quietly make our way out of the sub, once again driving by the once-hopeful-site-of-gold-now-reduced-to-woodchips-just-a-memory-coulda-been-a-contender-site, I remark "hmmm, honey, didn't they have a big birch there?" To which the response is "yea, a tree service came by the other day and took it out. Thought I heard or saw them." shrugging her shoulders and smiling to kids riding past. "Why...what...you mean....didn't you ask....what the heck?" I try to choke outta my mouth while keeping from driving off the road. "Look, you already have enough wood and don't need to junk up the yard anymore. Accept it and move on." she replies without even a hint of remorse in the voice.

.....the sinking feeling in my stomach at missing such a close score..its like losing your best friend! :down:

my wife tells me where things are going on all the time she now can spot a dead tree from a mile away! She also can tell what size of saw is running from a long distance (what mean by that is small mid and large)

smokinj said:
my wife tells me where things are going on all the time she now can spot a dead tree from a mile away! She also can tell what size of saw is running from a long distance (what mean by that is small mid and large)

yep...there's a keeper

No way my wife would even mention it to me at this point. She doesn't want anymore wood in the yard and she knows I'll find enough on my own. *If* I didn't have well over 10 cords already she would point it out or let me know though.

rdust said:
No way my wife would even mention it to me at this point. She doesn't want anymore wood in the yard and she knows I'll find enough on my own. *If* I didn't have well over 10 cords already she would point it out or let me know though.
make it to mid Jan. with 20 cords to sell then she come around.

Dudes, I am with ya. Those neighborhood scores are tough to miss out on. I simply cannot turn them down, and if I have to, I hook up friends in the neighborhood who burn with the info of how to get it. I finally got the old lady off my back by telling her she could go get her hair cut at one of these ridiculously priced hair salons---"BUT DON'T GIVE ME ANY MORE CRAP ABOUT MY WOODPILES". We'll see how long that lasts.... :shut:

My wife sees all the dead trees as we drive past and shakes her head because it is amazing that someone doesn't cut them trees down for firewood. And there are tons of dead trees around here.

My wife will call me up on my cell phone and say - "there's a pile of firewood on Valleyview. Come & get it before someone else does."

Peace,
- Sequoia

.....It happened again today! Wife was picking kids up from preschool; talking to another neighbor that was also at the school when they heard the "CRRRAAACCCKKK...THUD!" of a huge tree as the last cut was made and fell. She immediately looked at our neighbor friend and stated.."don't you mention a word of this to my husband!" I think her concious got the best of her as she fessed up this evening while driving around town. Went by the site only to find the last bit of scrounging being done...at least 5-6 guys with trucks and trailers. A bunch of nice maples in an old open field where an old house had been taken down years back. She had to continue to tell me how they pulled out a couple larger loads earlier in the day!
...that's ok, I got a call from a buddy to come get a load of oak rounds from a house he just moved in to. Already cut, ready to load and split. ;-P You bet your ass that I'm gonna load up the yard now every chance I get!

I still love her though...after all she did get me a splitter from CL :lol:

If a tree is felled in the neighborhood... LOL that's a good one.

heatit said:
Just another normal day, unlike no other. Get in the car, start er up, back outta the drive and make my way down the street around the corner, wave at the neighbors walking their dog, see a fresh pile of woodchips, try not to hit the squirrel that just shot out into the road...WAIT!!!! WAS THAT A PILE OF WOODCHIPS??!!...as the brakes slam on and throwing the transmission into reverse. Why YES... IT IS...HEY! Joe use to have a huge birch tree there just the other day?? "WTH?" I say to myself as I get whiplash from looking all around for the corpse and possibly a beautiful score of wood....NOTHING! :gulp:

....Flash forward to later that evening..
As the wife and I quietly make our way out of the sub, once again driving by the once-hopeful-site-of-gold-now-reduced-to-woodchips-just-a-memory-coulda-been-a-contender-site, I remark "hmmm, honey, didn't they have a big birch there?" To which the response is "yea, a tree service came by the other day and took it out. Thought I heard or saw them." shrugging her shoulders and smiling to kids riding past. "Why...what...you mean....didn't you ask....what the heck?" I try to choke outta my mouth while keeping from driving off the road. "Look, you already have enough wood and don't need to junk up the yard anymore. Accept it and move on." she replies without even a hint of remorse in the voice.

.....the sinking feeling in my stomach at missing such a close score..its like losing your best friend! :down:

I'da shoved her ass outta the car and told her to accept it and move on. Did you point out to her that you have nothing to say about the number of pots and pans she has? Or shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.