if its grey its good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iod0816

Jan 4, 2010
Someplace in WMass
Good rule of thumb for burning or....? All my grey has been css for 9 plus and its red maples, hickory and sugar maple. Split a big ole split and dry so is there a correlation?

Not really, sun bleaches on out side, but can be still too high a mc inside. I highly doubt that the hickory will be ready little short time wise on the harder maples also. Only way to tell is to resplit down the middle and check with a moisture meter. The inexpensive one from Harbor freight works well enough for me. Also depends on your climate conditions for the past 9 months in your local.

iodonnell said:
Good rule of thumb for burning or....? All my grey has been css for 9 plus and its red maples, hickory and sugar maple. Split a big ole split and dry so is there a correlation?

Exterior color has little to do with the inside MC in my opinion, the sun will fade the color rather quickly.

I have some ash that is top covered from the day I cut/split it over 2 years ago and the outside is still close to the day I split it. I have a heap of oak that I cut in November of last year and the pieces on the outside of the heap look many years old due to the sun fading them out.

As others have said . . . the sun will fade the wood to gray pretty quickly. I have a stack of wood I put up a little less than a month or so ago and it is already turning gray from the sun . . . whereas I have a stack of wood that was bucked and split over a year ago, but is not very gray as it was sitting in the shade. That said . . . I always like the look of faded gray, weather checked firewood -- it just looks more natural.

Its a so so litmus test for having wood delivered. If at least its started to turn, theres some visual evidence. Doesnt mean its ready, but at least you can see it wasnt split yesterday. Like some who season in log length..

I think it turns grey more from the rain hitting it than the sun. It is the weathering process. As others have said I have seen grey wood not seasoned and clear wood that is seasoned.

In my stacks the wood on the outside turns grey, but wood on the inside (I have large, round stacks so some wood never sees the sun or much rain) looks bright even after a couple of years. I think the inside wood is about as dry as the outside, grey wood, it just isn't grey. I can't tell if it is sun or rain that turns the wood grey. Usually the pieces that get sun also get rain.

A lot of my wood dries under an open-sided shed, and never greys no matter how dry it gets. Some of the wood kept outside the shed turns grey before it's ready to burn.

Our rain usually comes with an east, NE or SE wind so the east side tends to get more rain. We have some stacks now that were stacked in April 2009. The west side is gray. The east side is still light colored.

Status
Not open for further replies.