If only I could train him to stack...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Yesterday when my wife and I were stocking the new woodshed she was throwing pieces to me from one of the piles. That's when the natural retriever instinct kicked in:

Picture004.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

The piece he's carrying must have weighed close to 10lbs!

wood spliter said:
Great looking dog. How old is he and do you duck hunt?

Thanks! His name is Hank and he just turned 11 months. I'm actually not much of a bird hunter anymore (just deer hunt now), but I've been thinking about at least doing some field training with him just to see how he does. I got him from a friend who is a big duck hunter (I used to go with him because he had the boat, the decoys, etc...I just had to show up with the gun and the steel shot ;) ) who decided that he really didn't have the time to train him. Hank is field bred which if you know your labs you can see from the pictures-narrow chest, skinny tail, etc... He's just over 75lbs and 23" tall, loves to swim, and has tons of energy. I think I might try to train him for pheasants. I used to do a lot of pheasant hunting when I was teenager and we live close to some good public land for it.

To me, labs have always been number 1. Smart animals they are and they learn fast.

My yellow lab just turned 1. He's 65lbs. Constantly eating wood. Not chewing on it. Eating it.

Whats his hourly rate?

I wish my neighbor's pets were that useful. They cats they have are going to meet a sudden and early demise if I catch them urinating on my wood again!

pen

Badfish740 said:
wood spliter said:
Great looking dog. How old is he and do you duck hunt?

Thanks! His name is Hank and he just turned 11 months. I'm actually not much of a bird hunter anymore (just deer hunt now), but I've been thinking about at least doing some field training with him just to see how he does. I got him from a friend who is a big duck hunter (I used to go with him because he had the boat, the decoys, etc...I just had to show up with the gun and the steel shot ;) ) who decided that he really didn't have the time to train him. Hank is field bred which if you know your labs you can see from the pictures-narrow chest, skinny tail, etc... He's just over 75lbs and 23" tall, loves to swim, and has tons of energy. I think I might try to train him for pheasants. I used to do a lot of pheasant hunting when I was teenager and we live close to some good public land for it.
No dought he will be your friend to the end. If you bow hunt he might be helpful tracking. Watch the bugs. My dog has rocky mt spotted fever and limes.

Status
Not open for further replies.