If you had your choice of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
I'm ordering kiln dried wood this year because of my wet wood issue and wanted to know if you had your choice which would you select of the following AND WHY:
Locust
Cherry
Hickory
Ash

Also .... which has the highest burn times?

hickory more btu's and the coals that you get

If they are all the same price per cord, hickory, for smokinjay's reasons.

I would say Locust because I do not have any experience with hickory.
Locust burns long hot and coals nice too.

It might depend on the price. For example, I would be surprised if they asked the same price for cherry as they did for locust or hickory.

If the price were the same and they were all kiln dried . . . hickory or locust. More BTUs . . .

Never had hickory or apple so I guess I'll just settle for locust. Tongue in cheek on the "settle for locust".

HICKORY
I've burned lots of Shagbark & Pignut, good stuff

WoodButcher

i really like to mix it up and MO is a good area to do that. Blackjack oak dries fast and gets the fire going, seems
like it burns up a little quick though. Hickory, White or Red Oak, maybe just a little underseasoned to lay on top
of the blackjack. Oh.. and give me them round top pieces, i'll take those over splits.

Locust, hands down. Burns hot, long, doesn't rot grows like weeds around here, can readily be burned green (though like any wood, seasoned produces more heat).
I have both red and white oak that has rotted from improper storage, but locust form the bottom of the same piles is still fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.