If you hardcore woodcutters had to buy a cord of wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomo

Nov 5, 2010
northrn mn
which of these two would you buy (I know many of you would never, EVER, buy wood!) More power to you. I've got five acres and a bunch of downed trees I'm trying to get to...but not for this year. I'm in the market and saw this on craigslist--I know, be dubious of all craigslist claims. All you seasoned vets, which would you buy if you had a gun to your head and?

2 - Cords of fully seasoned Birch this has been split and stacked in ricks for 11 months this is available for delivery to the Duluth area for $190.00 per cord special pricing on 2 or more cords and they can be mixed or matched cords email for rate base on the 2 types of wood you want.

1- Cord of fully seasoned Birch, Maple, Oak this has been split and stacked in ricks for 12 months it's ready to burn this season this is available
for $195.00 per cord with special rate if you take delivery on 2 or more cords

I want the snow to fly! I'm looking forward to my first season of burning (in my little shack, not my house). That is, if I don't burn the place down before winter's end.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/62254/

I think us seasoned vets are more dried out than Craigslist wood. I don't like birch so I wouldn't buy either. Your in MN, there's got to be better wood than that at a decent price, Randy

tomo said:
which of these two would you buy (I know many of you would never, EVER, buy wood!) More power to you. I've got five acres and a bunch of downed trees I'm trying to get to...but not for this year. I'm in the market and saw this on craigslist--I know, be dubious of all craigslist claims. All you seasoned vets, which would you buy if you had a gun to your head and?

2 - Cords of fully seasoned Birch this has been split and stacked in ricks for 11 months this is available for delivery to the Duluth area for $190.00 per cord special pricing on 2 or more cords and they can be mixed or matched cords email for rate base on the 2 types of wood you want.

1- Cord of fully seasoned Birch, Maple, Oak this has been split and stacked in ricks for 12 months it's ready to burn this season this is available

I want the snow to fly! I'm looking forward to my first season of burning (in my little shack, not my house). That is, if I don't burn the place down before winter's end.

White birch no, black birch yes.

tomo said:
'seasoned' oak (cut in feb) for $170/cord...three cord minimum, which I can't afford!

http://hardwoodresources.net/?110010
I don't blame you, I'm not exactly awash in money either. I would rather burn pine than white birch though. I'd need to go for the 2nd option in this case, Randy

Why is white birch so bad? I'd love some illumination, as I am new to all of this. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: hearth.com is quite a cool community. I've only been around here for a week or so, and have learned so much.

tomo said:
Why is white birch so bad? I'd love some illumination, as I am new to all of this. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: hearth.com is quite a cool community. I've only been around here for a week or so, and have learned so much.
I don't get much heat out it. Members here complain about elm & I'd take that any day over white birch. Can you find some other Craigslist sellers that don't have the 3 cord minimum on heavier hardwood? It is also free to post a "wanted to buy" on Craigslist & you might really luck out doing this, Randy

tomo said:
In my area, I usually only see white birch decaying on the ground. The bark is still intact the wood is mostly gone. I occasionally see a rotten one falling apart while still standing.

If you really need to buy wood to burn for this year... and it needs to be seasoned..... why not try for some biobricks? I know its not the answer most people would give you, but it's better than burning wet wood.

White Birch will rot quickly if it isn't split and stored off the ground. I burn a little bit of birch and I get plenty of heat out of it but not for very long. I would recc trying to get another type of hardwood mix and stay away from too much oak. If you are burning in an old smoke dragon then the oak will be fine but it could use a little more time.

If I had to, If there were a gun to my head, If there were a BIG gun to my head, I would go with option 2. You would probably be better off scrounging your acres for fallen branch wood but.... If these are your only options, then option 2 would seem to be the lesser of the 2 evils.

Door #2...

Enjoy!

I have burned lots of White birch in an old smoke dragon stove. It burns great, and is the only hardwood that grows over huge areas of north america (Alaska, Yukon Terr.). Nothing wrong with White Birch except it tends to rot soon after it dies, even if it is still standing. I assume the seller cut live trees that aren't rotten.

If both sellers are tellig the truth about the wood, I'd say the Birch is going to be drier (lower moisture content) than oak, and therefore might be a more satisfying /easier wood to burn. The oak will burn longer, and its value will depend on how well it seasoned over the 12 months (did it have wind and sun, or was it is a cool, shady spot?). 12 month seasoned oak is far better wood than most people burn, so not a bad choice. If the maple is Red or Silver Maple, it will be like the birch. Sugar Maple will be like the oak - partially seasoned. I might go for the birch in order to get more consistently dry wood.

You should also comparison shop biobricks or the several similar brands of compressed wood brick. I realize they aren't as authentic as real wood, but might give more BTU per $. Some pallets or waste ends from dimensional lumber (2x4s, etc. check construction sites) might be nice to fire up the semi-seasoned oak.

nothing better on craigslist / local paper ?

tough call on the birch.
white birch here isn't too good. Burns like pine, maybe even faster.
Yellow birch is actually fairly decent.
I'd probably go with the mix and doubt the oak will burn all that great.

Paper (White) Birch is not that bad. I'd want to see any wood before I'd buy it.

It sounds like you are burning this in a hunting camp, not your house? If so I can't imagine needeing more than a cord. But I also can't imagine buying wood off CL. Have each of your buddies bring wood to camp with them. Won't that be enough?

Oh, btw, I know you're new here and all, but the unofficial rule here is you have to post a pic of your wife, Gf, or both by the time you post your 12th time.

Welcome aboard and wish ya much success keepin the shack warm!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Paper (White)
Oh, btw, I know you're new here and all, but the unofficial rule here is you have to post a pic of your wife, Gf, or both by the time you post your 12th time.

LOL You forgot to mention the maximum clothing requirements on said pic.

I assume that in Minnesota birch means White Birch or Paper Birch (same thing). You don't have Black Birch (excellent firewood) but you do have Yellow Birch, which is also very high in BTUs. I'd definitely take Yellow Birch if available. Yellow Birch will have a yellowish bark that rolls up in small sections as it ages. White Birch, which I assume you recognize, has white bark with black horizontal stripes.

Um . . .No

This is a classy joint and I more or less assumed no one would post a pic of their SO without clothes. Nor do I wanna see that. Nor would Craig allow it.

We just like to know what drives each of us to work so hard for wood.

Go for option 2, definitely. It will give you some variety. Birch for warmer days/nights, oak and maple for the colder times.

Also, I don't mind birch, but I have burned very little of it and when I did it was mixed with other woods.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Um . . .No

This is a classy joint and I more or less assumed no one would post a pic of their SO without clothes. Nor do I wanna see that. Nor would Craig allow it.

We just like to know what drives each of us to work so hard for wood.

agreed, I supose the joke was lost between the brain and the keyboard.

Found a cord of birch/maple 'ready to burn' for $125 delivered. I'm thinking birch might be o.k. for my needs, as I'm heating a 120 square foot shack--sort of an office, escape pod type place. I'll be out there daily, but I won't really need to much fire to keep the place toasty.

No problem with White Birch here. I love it. I like to always have some on hand. Throws good heat out of the 13 and if I pack it right it goes overnight for me. It does rot quick but if it is split seasoned off the ground I'd grab it.

FireAnt said:
No problem with White Birch here. I love it. I like to always have some on hand. Throws good heat out of the 13 and if I pack it right it goes overnight for me. It does rot quick but if it is split seasoned off the ground I'd grab it.

+1. I also like to have some White Birch; it might burn fast but it is decent wood and there's just something about it that I enjoy. I wouldn't want to burn it exclusively, but mixed in with other hardwoods is fine.

If it were for a stove/furnace in a home I would go with (original) option #2. Given that it is for a small space option #3 seems like a plan though given the appreciably lower price I would be concerned that the wood was still green. If you can stop by the seller's place before you buy it might save you some issues (this applies to any purchase of "seasoned" wood). Incidentally, my boss built a small cabin behind his house and tells the story of putting a few sticks of pine and oak in the stove for the first time and coming back to a virtual inferno. Good luck!

tomo said:

Sorry, but I would go away from what most have advised. I would go with the birch.

The reason I would go with birch is because the other is birch, maple, oak stacked for only 12 months. Not long enough for oak and I assume this wood is needed now because you are buying it now. The birch will burn fine for you and heat that little shack (nice looking one too). If that maple and oak had been in the stack 2 years then the extra $5 would be meaningless and it would be the best bet but not now.

As for the snow flying, it is coming probably this weekend. Lots of areas expecting 6+" in Michigan so no doubt you will also get some.

Status
Not open for further replies.