If you vent a stove out through the roof...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
Trying to think here of what places on my first floor would be available to us for a potential stove location...

We have outside walls and a central hearth that's not fire-ready but could take a straight shot flue for a freestanding stove...

But if we wanted to place a stove in the family room, next to the TV area where we are most often gathered on chilly mornings and evenings....the stove would be in a corner, then it would go up through the FR ceiling and then pass through a very short wall (knee wall) area of a closet upstairs (maybe 30" tall at most), THEN out the roof. I would not want it straight out the wall here because it would come out smack on the facade of the 1750's house. But I'd be OK with it poking out the roof.

Is that doable? To have the vent pipe running through a close exposed? Or is it necessary to run directly from the room that it's in to the outside?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. :) I need to obsess over something while I wait for the insulation guys to get back to me with estimates right???

Thanks!
Mary

Hi Mary,

You can go through the ceiling and through the closet in a knee wall and out the roof provided you can maintain all clearances to combustibles and you also do not want any vent seams in this area. This will likely require that the closet lose some space and a wall be constructed to prevent anything from ending up against the vent.

About the TV room situation, please remember that these stoves usually have three motors in them and move air so they make noise.

Thanks Smokey! The space is not all that useful and would be easy to frame a box to cover the flue pipe. Maybe considering sound, though, we'd be better off to go in the opposite corner, which would allow us to vent out the house and up the side rather than the front.

mfglickman said:
.......Maybe considering sound, though, we'd be better off to go in the opposite corner, which would allow us to vent out the house and up the side rather than the front.

Bingo!

mfglickman said:
Thanks Smokey! The space is not all that useful and would be easy to frame a box to cover the flue pipe. Maybe considering sound, though, we'd be better off to go in the opposite corner, which would allow us to vent out the house and up the side rather than the front.
Now you're talkin! Much better way.

Mine is a corner install about 7 feet from my TV.

It vents straight up thru the roof.

Back of stove has a 4" Clean out T.
Then there is a series of Straight vent pipes up thru a cathedral ceiling.
The ceiling clearances are maintained with a cathedral ceiling hanging box.
In my case that also transitions thru the roof sheathing.
On top of the roof sheathing is a pyramid shaped piece called Roof Flashing.
That has a storm collar on top of it.
At the vent termination is a Rain cap.

My total length is about 14' of 4" PVP
Had the same setup with 3" vent on my EF-2.
The 3" was all done in Galv pipe and looked like crap in the house.
When I put in the M55 I did it all in Black 4" and it looks great.

As for noise in the living room/TV room. It was OK with the EF-2 but much quieter with the M55.
If it wasn't for the agitator the M55 would be completely ignored (sound wise)

---Nailker---

Status
Not open for further replies.