Igniter or Manual Start-Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xraycer

Nov 2, 2011
Pelham NH
I own the Englander 25E and it is an auto start. Should I manually light the pellets (such as with a propane torch) on the initial start-up just to extend the life of the igniter?

BTW, have I earned my piglet status yet?

I always manually light my stoves. In fact, the only time the ignitors were used was when the stoves were installed. I enjoy manually lighting my stoves and never run them in the auto position.

xray,
I have a 25PVDC, and if yours is like mine unless you can either disable the ignitor or unplug it, it will always come on to start your fire. Even if I manually light the first handful, the ignitor still comes on as it's actions are governed by the control board. So it will glow red right there under the fire!!!
Only way for me to not have it glow is to disconnect it at the control board,,,,,,, or maybe a toggle switch on the side of the stove is a good idea,,,, it's 120 volts, and 300 watts I believe,,,,or a remote switch with a relay and a contact that pulls down,,,,,hmmmmm now you went an' got me fiddling with the innards of my stove again,,,,,,,

John

I vote to use the ignitor. Your stove was designed to be used with the ignitor. The ignitor will of course last longer if you don't use it. I leave my stove in auto mode and this time of year the ignitor comes on about 12 times a day. Saves me A LOT of pellets running this way, the way the stove was designed to be run. Even if I have to replace the ignitor once a year I don't care, I love the convenience. Just my opinion.

thats like walking up to the cable box to change the channel?? use it or lose it!!!

how do you like the geneva got like 8 bags to try but havent gotten there yet!!

Used the igniter on my PF100 for the first 6 months or so. Got tired of the smoke filling up the neighborhood and the neighbors calling the fire dept. Have done the manual start for 3 years now. Manual start and manual stop it. Manual start is just as fast as Auto start with the igniter; very little smoke outside; and I get a little extra exercise lighting it. Win, win.

xraycer said:
I own the Englander 25E and it is an auto start. Should I manually light the pellets (such as with a propane torch) on the initial start-up just to extend the life of the igniter?

if it burns out then you manually light it till you pick up a new igniter.thats just my 2 cents. i only manually light my stove when i lose power and i have to run it on a generator.the igniter draws alot of power

xraycer said:

Not sure how the EP and the CPM run (new generation stoves). But if they are like the older models, then like stated above, you would have to disconnect the ignitor. As it wouldnt know whether you wanted to light manually, or if the stove should light it?

Stoves like Harman, Enviro, my Fahrenheit, they all have a "manual" mode. This enables the user to light the stove manually and not have the ignitor on.

As for your Pig status???? Maybe Edit the Title of your thread to say something about it? (Along with the ignitor thing/"Pig Status") Would get one of the Pellet Trustees to check in on your "status".. Just a thought. Seems as if you may Qualify? Can you send your dues payment ASAP? Supplies may be getting low...

Cooper said:
thats like walking up to the cable box to change the channel?? use it or lose it!!!

how do you like the geneva got like 8 bags to try but havent gotten there yet!!

I didn't say I wouldn't use it, just not during start-up.

I have no idea how well the Geneva will burn in my stove. I just took a gamble on the Geneva due to several factors: 1) a lot of recommendations 2) decently priced 3) only $30 delivery on all 3 tons including placement via Moffett

Attachments

• pellets.jpg
    pellets.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 426
SmokeyTheBear said:
xraycer said:
Snip ...

What have you done in order to prove you are worthy of being a member of the Pellet Pig Club?

In terms of "pellet stove culture", all I've done is put in a lot of time, sweat, and money to bring pellet heating into my home/life. Oh, and so far I've burned a half a bag of pellets in my backyard. Is that enough?

Dexter
On my enviro, manual mode means I have to push the on button to light stove. Igniter still comes on and does the job. I dont believe there is a way to not use the igniter.

kykel said:
Dexter
On my enviro, manual mode means I have to push the on button to light stove. Igniter still comes on and does the job. I dont believe there is a way to not use the igniter.

Oops... ok... Harman and Fahrenhiet still apply..

Smokey.. He is working with 6.5 (close enough) ton. Seems 3 ton were delivered. The other 3.5 ton he has not vouched for how he got them home?

Smells like a Pig, Looks like a Pig???

xraycer said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
xraycer said:
Snip ...

What have you done in order to prove you are worthy of being a member of the Pellet Pig Club?

In terms of "pellet stove culture", all I've done is put in a lot of time, sweat, and money to bring pellet heating into my home/life. Oh, and so far I've burned a half a bag of pellets in my backyard. Is that enough?

The hogs will not be impressed by the mere spending of money, now about that time and sweat? Did the sweat involve any lugging of tons pellets from outside to inside the house or other structure or was it merely sweating out the installation process where the installer did all of the work and you sat back drinking brews? One of the hogs wants to know how much time and how many skun knuckles resulted from this alleged process so cough up the figures.

Are you applying for this year or next year? We do have this first frost requirement that sometimes gets waived however you'll have to demonstrate true piggishness.

SmokeyTheBear said:
xraycer said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
xraycer said:
Snip ...

The hogs will not be impressed by the mere spending of money, now about that time and sweat? Did the sweat involve any lugging of tons pellets from outside to inside the house or other structure or was it merely sweating out the installation process where the installer did all of the work and you sat back drinking brews?

Hilarious. Can i have your permission to add this to my sig?

jdempsey said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
xraycer said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
xraycer said:
Snip ...

The hogs will not be impressed by the mere spending of money, now about that time and sweat? Did the sweat involve any lugging of tons pellets from outside to inside the house or other structure or was it merely sweating out the installation process where the installer did all of the work and you sat back drinking brews?

Hilarious. Can i have your permission to add this to my sig?

Go for it.

So far I've only had to lugged a couple of dozens pellet bags, but I've had to move the new stove from the store to its present location and also had to move furniture around to rearrange for the placement of the stove's new home.*

*note: I've tried to earn more piggy points by attempting to move the stove by myself, but my own genetics wasn't enough.

Installation was done by me, since I've dealt with enough service professionals to earn a healthy distrust in their actual competency for their area of expertise. Plus, I was too cheap to pay for something that seems like I can handle myself. Besides, I'm a DIY (at heart) and this looks like fun. Only 1 scraped knuckle and a small scratch to report.

All this was done while trying, at the same time, to entertain and keeping at bay 3 energetic youngins.

Back on topic: So, is the igniter on a timer during start-up or does it turn off by a temp setting?

xraycer said:
So far I've only had to lugged a couple of dozens pellet bags, but I've had to move the new stove from the store to its present location and also had to move furniture around to rearrange for the placement of the stove's new home.*

*note: I've tried to earn more piggy points by attempting to move the stove by myself, but my own genetics wasn't enough.

Installation was done by me, since I've dealt with enough service professionals to earn a healthy distrust in their actual competency for their area of expertise. Plus, I was too cheap to pay for something that seems like I can handle myself. Besides, I'm a DIY (at heart) and this looks like fun. Only 1 scraped knuckle and a small scratch to report.

All this was done while trying, at the same time, to entertain and keeping at bay 3 energetic youngins.

The selection committee has met and reviewed your application.

Everybody welcome xraycer our newest member.

Please add the following to your sig

“Proud member of the Pellet Pig Club†OINK OINK!!
“You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselvesâ€-eernest4-Grand Poobah-Pellet Pig Club

What clinched it for you was your admission that you needed help when confronted with the fact that a stove sometimes requires help when being moved. They also got a laugh out of the clown show for the kids.

Now go forth among the unschooled, teach them the warmth that comes from pellet gathering.

Woohoo!!!..................oh, I mean oink, oink!!!

Thank you fellow pelletiers.
So, do I get a t-shirt or a hat with a tassel or anything?

xraycer said:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
You lucky pig !I won't ever make PIG status as I live in Tennessee and only burn one ton per season.Guess I'II have to move to receive this esteemed honor...

tony58 said:
xraycer said:

You lucky pig !I won't ever make PIG status as I live in Tennessee and only burn one ton per season.Guess I'II have to move to receive this esteemed honor...

Or buy a few years of fuel?? I dont burn 9 ton a season. But I have 9 ton..

Just a thought?????

DexterDay said:
tony58 said:
xraycer said:

Or buy a few years of fuel?? I dont burn 9 ton a season. But I have 9 ton..

Just a thought?????

Now, that's true piggishness

Status
Not open for further replies.