Ignitor and multi-meters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJPellet

Minister of Fire
Sep 6, 2011
Western NY
Is there a correlation between all or most ignitors and a multi-meter. Do they all read about the same ohms? When they are bad do they all read infinite ohms? Any information appreciated. Thanks. Just trying to educate myself.

all different...if you're asking about yours, for the P43 (and any other Harmans with same ignitio system)..should be ~35 ohms IIRC.

Many variables involved. Total length of the internal wire will vary the resistence across the board on them. But they should be darn close for a specific model. Most service manuals will have the values for the particular model.

A bad igniter could read "0" for open or "OL" for shorts. Also some bad ones could read high(usually will blow the fuse) or some could read low(weak and probably only half will get hot). If it doesn't read the proper value(or darned close) toss it.

-part 2, no they dont all read infinte when they go bad. If they burn out completely they usually just show open on a continuity test, some will show a large increase in resistence, so a drop. You just never know, but when the ohms show a vast difference to the norm, you know you gots problems.

Okay great. Thanks for the information so far. I am already much more educated than I was on this topic because of you guys. Thank You.

When you get a new one, measure it. Then you'll know when it's out of spec next time.

I changed a couple in my sisters P43 and I thinx its somewhere around 49 ohms for a good one. Been a while though. And I thinx they changed them recently.

Delta mentioned 35 ohms. That might be the new igniter value?

Status
Not open for further replies.