Ignitor installation Enviro (Vista-Flame) VF100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevekng

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2007
Central Maine
So there I was all set to put in the new ignitor to replace the 4 1/2 year old one that finally crapped the bed. I looked at the schematic in my owner's manual,pulled out the spare I had bought three years ago, and went to work,full of confidence that this would be a project of 2-3 hours....WRONG!

1. There's so little room to get at the t15 torx scews you need an infant's hands to get at them.

2. Even if your hands are small enough to perform the task, you cannot see the screws.

3. Of course the screws were frozen. I guess never-seize paste wasn't available in Canada at that time. So the torx screws stripped out once I managed to find the scew with the wrench. 2 hours later and $100 poorer, I ground off the heads of the screws With a Dremel and a Dremel Flex shaft attachment.

4. Once I got the ignitor unscrewed, I discovered that you have to snake the wires through two holes about a foot apart and about 3 inches offset from being in-line. I used a little electrical tape and a pick-up tool (gripping) to snake the wires.

5. After 2 days and a total of 6 hours, I discovered that the screws that came with the new ignitor (purchased from Enviro) were a different thread from the ones that I ground off.

The stove is working once again. I hope this ignitor lasts until I die.

This proves that you don't have to be smart to engineer a pellet stove.

IMHO there aren't many stoves that are pleasant to work on. And an igniter lasting 4 and 1/2 years is not bad either. I've seen stoves on here where the owner is swapping them out every season. I also haven't seen many other stoves that were assembled with never seez used. But agree that it would help the end user in the repair events!

Sounds like you need a huge? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.